Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 10:54 PM

Default How could I play this better?

NLHE Tournament, level 2, blinds are 15/25. New to the table, but play has been weak tight until now. Stack sizes are irrelevant to the discussion (all around T1500).

I'm on Button and look down to see pocket 6s. 2 limpers to me, I limp, SB completes and BB checks.

Flop comes 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Checked around to me, I bet 25 (pot is 125) as a feeler. Called by BB and EP, other 2 fold.

Turn is (3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] )4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around to me, I check.

River is a dream: (3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img])6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Pot is now 200. Checked to me again (I was hoping for some kind of bluff attempt). I bet 100, get one caller, and my hand is good.

Should I have bet more at some point? Please rate my play.

Bonus question: This is a bountie tournament (ie, u get money for every person you knock out). Does this change the plan at all?
Old 06-03-2003, 12:08 AM

Default Re: How could I play this better?

I would be happy to take the pot, your hand wasn't that great till river, there's no reason to build the pot to wait for the miracle card to come, but with only two limpers, I would probably make a pot sized bet on turn to knock out the high cards. It sucks if a 7 come on river, and someone take the pot with 67.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:11 AM

On the flop with a pot of 125, I would be 100 or so. If you get check-raised fold. If you get called check the turn.

Ken Poklitar
Old 06-03-2003, 10:10 PM

I' d make a bigger flop bet. like Ken said, roughly pot sized. Here's why:

With the small flop bet, you are not putting out an "I have an Ace" vibe, and you are encouraging J-10, Q-J, K-Q, etc, to call. What happens if any card 9 thru king falls on the turn, and it's bet into you, even 1/2 the pot? You can't like your hand - the BB could have a joke hand like Q-3, or J-4, and basically, with two opponents, your pocket 6's are dead.

By making a bigger flop bet, you may not win more money, but it's a more meaningful "feeler"
you will either a) win the pot right there [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
b) get called by a weak ace
c) get raised by a strong ace (you will have a tough time calling a raise of your pot-sized bet.)

I don't know what the guy who called your river bet had, but in the NLHE tourneys i've been playing, any ace will call a pot sized river bet with that board. (in the tourneys i've been playing, someone would have been all in way before the river, but that's another story...)

So, i think you should have bet more, but it wouldn't have necessarily won you a larger pot - it would have saved you from having to nail your sweeeeet 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] on the rio.