Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 PM

Default General Question on when to Raise

I have a general question. Let's say you're heads-up against a solid player and you have the nuts (or close to it) with position. He is making ~pot sized bets at you. Assuming you just call the flop, is it better to pop the turn or wait for the river?

I know this is an extremely general question that can be effected by many variables, but I'm just looking for some general guidance as to whether it's better to a) let him keep the lead in the hand if you're confident he's going to bet the river, or 2) try to get all of your chips in on the turn.

ANY guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: General Question on when to Raise

Completely dependent on stack size, image, board texture, etc
Old 06-22-2005, 01:35 AM

It sounds like this came from a hand you recently played, post it.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like this came from a hand you recently played, post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2/4 NL. Been sitting for about 20 minutes so only minimal reads, but the table appears to be stupid loose. Horrible suckout to start, then a nice rush to get me up to ~$730.

No HH, so this is from memory. I limp in MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] along with about 3 others. SB (villain) raises to $8 (his stack is identical to mine, appears to be very tight). Everyone calls.

Pot $42

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets $30, I call.

Pot $102

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets $45, I call.

Pot $192

River 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain Checks, I bet $50, Villain calls.

Comments on any and all aspects of the hand welcomed.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:20 AM

He's betting so little on the turn that you should raise. He could easily believe you are just sensing weakness. Raising flop is also a good option, if you do this with flush draws.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:53 AM

So villian had either AA/KK/AQ/KQ or maybe JJ/TT.

Since you read villian as tight, I would probably raise on the flop. This might seem counter-intuitive, because you don't want to scare away a tight player. But since he is tight, there is a reasonable chance that he has AA or KK, and AA/KK are definitely calling a flop raise, and will probably call you down the whole way. AQ probably will as well. As such, I think you can build a bigger pot by fast playing.

The way the hand played out, it looked like villian smelled out your set, but you bet small enough on the river that he had to call.

EDIT: Bet more on the river. Your line looks like a set, but it could just as easily be a missed flush draw. I think villian calls 100 here with tptk or an overpair.

Also, I don't think you played it poorly, per say, but I think you could have extracted more.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 AM

The more I think about it, the more I hate the way I played this. I agree -- I definitely could have gotten more.

[ QUOTE ]
He's betting so little on the turn that you should raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right.

[ QUOTE ]
Bet more on the river. Your line looks like a set, but it could just as easily be a missed flush draw. I think villian calls 100 here with tptk or an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you played it poorly, per say...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're wrong... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Min raise the turn, value bet the river ~75. If he calls both put him on the BL. I definitely think you left some money on the table. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM

I like to raise enough so that the amount is sizable compared to stacksize but is deceptively small when compared to potsize.

if you think about it, if you pot any street and you get called, you've effectively tripled potsize thereby tripling all future bets while still keeping future bets percentage in comparison to pot size the same.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely think you left some money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Undoubtedly.

[ QUOTE ]
if you think about it, if you pot any street and you get called, you've effectively tripled potsize thereby tripling all future bets while still keeping future bets percentage in comparison to pot size the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. I'm going to read it a few more times and I will probably like it more.