Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Was this a stupid move?

I have just started playing poker in the last couple of months and am still playing on the play money tables to learn. I mainly play single table tourneys or ring games. On Sunday I got in the free multi no limit tourny at Party Poker for the first time. I want to know if I was really stupid with this play.

On the 3rd hand of the tournement I'm the BB and get AQ of clubs. Four players limped in and I check.

The flop comes Kh 10c 6c.

I now have the nut flush draw and the nut strait draw. I raise 3x the BB. The next player goes all in. After two folds and one call it comes back to me.

At best someone has a set but with it being early in a playmoney tournement it could be a coupel of idiots who just finished watching the WPT and think all in is their only move. Seeing I had 3-1 odds to get either a strait or flush and triple my money I called.

Was this a good move or should I stay at the kiddie tables for a little while longer [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Was this a stupid move?

I personally have avoided going "All-In" on a draws like this. Of course that doesn't make it right, but with 2 people already all-in - you are already up against probably two made hands - trips and/or perhaps their holding K-10 or K-6. I'd protect my future bets. Plus - if there are two morons going all in on trash, there will be a showdown so you'll know right away and can punish them later.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:46 PM

I'm assuming you, the all-in player and the caller had nearly equal stacks.

If your raise of 3x bb was small in relation to your stack, which I assume it was given this was the third hand of the tournament, you have a decision to make. Being a beginner you may want to go ahead and take gambles like this. Personally I'd wait for a better spot, but calling here is certainly not a major mistake (Note that if Kh was Qh, OR all in was about 12 bb or less, a call is automatic).
Old 06-03-2003, 05:55 PM

Some of the more experienced players can give you a detailed analysis of Expected Value (EV) in this situation, but I think you were getting pot odds to make this call. Lucky for you, there are people much smarter than me that read this forum that can tell you what the RIGHT answer is.

The kind of tournament you are playing in would also factor into my decision. If this is a single-table sit&go, I let the idiots wipe each other out and wait for my chance (I'm always happy to see one less player). If this is a small buy-in multi-table event, I'd like to triple up early if I can, as you will gain some significant stack advantages for the next several rounds.

Basically, given the way you've described it, I'd call aswell, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Good luck with the game - I absolutely love it.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:09 PM

your call is fine when its three way. It is a slight mistake if one of them holds a J or Q, and the other one holds a trip. Even that, the pot may already justify a call. Factor in the possibility of "idiots", your EV is actually pretty good here.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:00 PM

Default Thanks for the input

To let you know how it turned out I did get teh 3c on the turn and took the pot. The first guy had nothing and the second held K10. I ended up making it to the final table and finished 6th.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:06 PM

I'm not the best to answer this, but I started on Party and did the freerolls daily for a while. **I'm still trying to relearn how to play correctly ;> **

Party has some really bad players (especially in the play money sections). My feeling is that in that particular situation you did the right thing; however, if you were to play in a real money tourney then you're gonna get burnt much more often than you'll catch what you need.

I know it's not easy, but find a way to deposit some real money and play at the real tables. You'll still see bad beats, but you wont see AA get beat by 72os nearly as often ;>

The play money tables at Party aren't realistic to what you will see at any other level. You cant expect two people to go all-in with mediocre or worse hands in most situations.