Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 PM

Default confusing AQo hand

SB is somewhat tight and very passive
BB is TAG

I don't think I could have played it too much differently (correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm more curious about the hand reading. I had no idea what either of these players could have had post-flop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

I know he might be trapping, but I've got outs either way, right?

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Kx?

River: (12 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: confusing AQo hand

Well after studying this hand for a few minutes, it looks like you may have lost to a str8 flush. I like your read on the BB, I would go as far as AA-JJ with AK and AQs being 3 betting hands. That is one scarry board for the nut flush, but I think you played it well. Nice hand.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Okay, I'll ask... would raising the river be a bad idea? I think we are ahead here most of the time. I doubt SB has a full house, as he'd have to be poking along with 77 (otherwise we'd see him act on the turn). If we get beat by a straight flush... well, so be it. But most of the time SB will be on a weak pair with a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 06-21-2005, 10:17 PM

nevermind my post was dumb [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM

Considering the opponents, I might want to take a free card on the turn.

I don't think BB has the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. A TAG is unlikely to check the flop and check/fold the river with that. I'd guess he's got a big pair, no spades, and waited for a safe card to raise the turn.

I don't 3-bet the river, not given the read that SB is very passive. Maybe he slowplayed a boat, or had pocket tens with the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to hit the str8 flush. He may also have KK or AK with the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but I dunno if someone very passive would raise with that.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 PM

I would check the turn and put in a 3 bet on the river.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:03 PM

I would also take the free card on the turn for the same reasons.

I don't raise this river because I don't see a passive player check raising a K high flush often enough in this spot. If he has the boat or the straight flush he will cap it, so since we intend to call a cap we need to be ahead at least 67 % of the time for the re-raise to be correct.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:12 PM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
I don't 3-bet the river, not given the read that SB is very passive. Maybe he slowplayed a boat, or had pocket tens with the 10 to hit the str8 flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian shows [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] a straight flush, ten high.

Also I definately agree about checking the turn, looking back on it.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 PM

I would have capped it pre, that's just me.

I'd have taken a free card on the turn, because, basically, we still only have a board pair of 9's with ace-high.

I'd make a crying call on the river after the CR from the SB who did nothing the entire hand and hope he just shows down trips 9's.