Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Evaluate my KK BB play

Note: Suit was not a factor in this hand.

Typical loose semi-agressive any 2 can win mentality game at one of the local card rooms. I get KK in the BB and 6 other callers. I just call. A raise will only make the pot too big in my opinion and keep too many drawing hands in.

Flop 7-K-9.

Check, five callers and I call.

Turn card is blank.

Check, four callers including 1st player on my left and right.

CHECK RAISE !!!

All call and guy on my right is muttering something about how I sucked him in. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

River card blank.

I bet, player to my left folds, one gamblin' lady calls, player to my right folds and I take it. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

This sure got me a lot of free cards for many hands to come. I was able to play 77 from late position, flop a
9-7-3 and make it a full house with 2-2 on the turn and river. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Three hours and still up 10 BB's I left. I think this was pretty good play for my level of experience. Any comments
questions appreciated as always.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Evaluate my KK BB play

Although it may well have worked out that you made more chips by not raising with KK in this hand, in the long run it is best to raise.

"A raise will only make the pot too big in my opinion and keep too many drawing hands in"

Lets see, you didn't raise and 5 people stayed on the flop and 5 people called your check-raise on the turn. On this type of table your opponents are going to call and chase anyways. Get the money in while you are a BIG favorite.

Ken Poklitar
Old 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM

I suspect that if you had raised preflop, come out betting on the flop, and then checked the turn, you would still get your check-raise in and wouldn't have lost anyone more than you did. However, you'd be either 2 or 4 big bets richer.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:48 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

A raise will only make the pot too big in my opinion and keep too many drawing hands in.

You raise the pot for value. KK will win the pot more than its fair share of the time. Thus you want as much money into the pot as possible especially to punish the draw limpers. If your raise makes it right for gutshots and week pairs to keep drawing that's not bad for you. Yes someone may spike the miracle card but you are still ten outs to a house or better(much better than their flush or straight draw). Make the draws pay. They will either pay more and that makes you money, or they will fold and that's not bad for you either.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:36 PM

and 6 other callers

That's 3BB you just left on the table. Raise. Raise. Raise. Raise.

Post-flop is fine, but since you said it's loose and semi-aggressive, I'd probably bet out or check-raise the flop and hope for a capped 5-way flop. In the best case, you can get that and still check-raise the turn.