Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Hi, my first hand post.

I've finally decided to sign up for these forums... How does this hand look? Villian is a TAG.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 06-21-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Hi, my first hand post.

Looks good, as long as your willing to fold to a 3-bet on the turn, or any river bet. I like the turn raise rather than just calling down because you have a little extra fold equity and can see a showdown for the same price.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Why do you raise the turn and not the flop. It is much cheaper and you can get rid of your hand easier. Do you expect him to fold the turn? It won't happen very often. Free showdown? It's not actually free and you don't want to see every showdown (e.g. K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] river)
Old 06-21-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you raise the turn and not the flop. It is much cheaper and you can get rid of your hand easier. Do you expect him to fold the turn? It won't happen very often. Free showdown? It's not actually free and you don't want to see every showdown (e.g. K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] river)

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he might fold the turn.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the turn raise. WOuld you advise leading the turn after re-raising the flop and then checking the river? Oh and if he capped it do I fold the flop or peel one off to see the turn?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 PM

I don't raise the turn.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you call down or fold?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 PM

I would also just call the turn.

If I called and he checked the river, I might consider betting the river with the hope that he'll get scared by the flush and fold. Any thoughts on that; am I setting myself up for trouble...?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Without reads , normally I fold b/c I'll have to call the river as well which makes my odds even worse. This is the standard play.
However maybe 1 of 5 times or less, I'll raise like you. Party 2/4 players are very weak tight and they love to fold to turn raises when they feel "dominated". The last one gets a disclaimer. I don't want to be attacked here.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:13 PM

I like your line here. 3betting the flop, betting the turn (assuming he doesnt check raise your turn), and checking the river is also a good line. You would save 1/2 a big bet by 3betting the flop if he calls and check/calls the turn. However, I think he is more likely to bet out on the turn after a 3 bet than he is to lead out on the river after your turn raise. Your line is fine. I like it. I also like the alternate line of 3betting the flop. Good post, I'd like to see what more people have to say about this one.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you call down or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call down. BB might expect that you have overs and have missed this raggy flop, and has shown aggression with something like two [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or a mid PP that you are a head of, but would probably also play a weak J like this as well. (J9, for example).