Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 AM

Default chip spewing?

2/4 full ring

Played one orbit so far at this table. Limped in once and folded on the flop. That's the only money I've invested at this table so far. Start of my second orbit, everyone folds to the completely unknown sb who calls, I raise to $12 with AKs. He calls. Flop JT9 rainbow with one of my suit. He checks, I bet $16, he raises to $32, I call. Turn is 7 of my suit, he bets $40 and I put him all-in for $90 more.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: chip spewing?

Well, if he doesn't have a set or KQ he might fold. And if he has one pair then you aren't in terrible shape. Would you normally play 88 like this?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:42 AM

Yes. But he doesn't know that.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:00 AM

Then I don't really like it. Check-minraise is either a very elaborate bluff from a tricky player, or a very good hand. If he's playing $400 NL with only 40BBs then I don't give him credit for being a decent player. Same as if he's open limp-calling in the SB at a full table. Assuming my calculations are correct, you're getting over 3:1 on his turn bet, and are exactly 3:1 against the nut KQ. Why not just call? I don't see you having much folding equity here.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2/4 full ring

Played one orbit so far at this table. Limped in once and folded on the flop. That's the only money I've invested at this table so far. Start of my second orbit, everyone folds to the completely unknown sb who calls, I raise to $12 with AKs. He calls. Flop JT9 rainbow with one of my suit. He checks, I bet $16, he raises to $32, I call. Turn is 7 of my suit, he bets $40 and I put him all-in for $90 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotta say, I really really like a flop check here.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Is he really going to ever fold here? His most likely hands are two pair, or pair + OESD.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Yep. Check behind on flop. Call turn. Check or fold river unless you hit your flush.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep. Check behind on flop. Call turn. Check or fold river unless you hit your flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I can easily see two pairs or even and over pair for the villan in this situation.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2/4 full ring

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotta say, I really really like a flop check here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because you knew you'd turn a 4 flush?

Bet this flop, closer to pot, fold to the check raise. Your flop call was bad. The original bet was good...
-Allows you to fold non paired / weak draws that otherwise can win the pot the times you dont improve (to a 4 flush or pair on the turn)
-you can move low pair (or mid pair) off on the flop, whereas if you check the flop you lose the hand...
-A checkraise, whether semibluff or made hand, gives you a real easy decision. Fold.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Are there any hands that limp/call that DON'T hit this flop? People fold pairs HU? I don't mind giving up the chance of POSSIBLY bluffing a small pair out in exchange for a free card to hit my hand or being able to induce a bluff on the turn in the rare case that the flop actually didn't hit him.