Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: A Question for Greg Raymer

In the current 2+2 magazine he mentions working his way from 3-6 hold'em to 150-300 mixed games.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: A Question for Greg Raymer *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dynasty
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
backed?

he won a satty into the wsop, i thought. are we counting that as being backed?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the zillionth time, Greg's backing agreement included all of his action up to and including the WSOP ME.

eastbay
Old 06-21-2005, 11:26 AM

With no knowledge of the situation... my guess would be that "backing" is the wrong word here. Since he won the seat through an online qualifier I sincerely doubt he was "backed." He probably sold percentages of his play ...
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM

I would imagine that given the size of the WSOP fields the odds of anyone repeating would be difficult.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:59 PM

I could have some of the details wrong, but I believe Raymer's backing deal was that a consortium of folks pooled together a substantial amount of money, something on the order of a 100K to provide his bankroll.

For their trouble they got half of Raymer's winnings for a year.

The primary purpose, if I understand it, was to allow Greg to play in a lot of higher buy in tourneys.

He did indeed qualify for the WSOP through an online satellite but this was part of the blanket coverage of all his play with the backing agreement.

If Greg reads this, I hope I haven't screwed up the details too badly, and I presume since I have some awareness of it, that I'm not giving away any State secrets.

--Zetack
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM

It was about half that amount, with me putting up 1/3 of the money, and the backers 2/3. If we lost money, we lost equally. If we won, I got 35% for being the player, and then the 65% was split equally. Each share originally cost $500, and ended up being worth more than $36,000. Prior to the big win, each share was worth about $600.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was about half that amount, with me putting up 1/3 of the money, and the backers 2/3. If we lost money, we lost equally. If we won, I got 35% for being the player, and then the 65% was split equally. Each share originally cost $500, and ended up being worth more than $36,000. Prior to the big win, each share was worth about $600.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info Greg.

Out of curiousity, did you all end the agreement after the WSOP or did you let it run to the end of whatever term you had agreed upon?

--Zetack
Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 PM

I have recently started to read some trip reports that I have found on the net, some dating back to 1999. I believe if any of the amateurs, like TheBeat want to ever pursue a succesful poker life, Raymer is the guy to copy. I am fairly certain that this is how I plan to become a succesful poker player.

I agree, you will be hearing Greg Raymers name for a long time to come.

Also, does anyone know of any decent sites for trip reports? Could be Raymers or just anyones poker trip reports. I think that you can learn so much just from reading these.

Razor
Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have recently started to read some trip reports that I have found on the net, some dating back to 1999. I believe if any of the amateurs, like TheBeat want to ever pursue a succesful poker life, Raymer is the guy to copy. I am fairly certain that this is how I plan to become a succesful poker player.

I agree, you will be hearing Greg Raymers name for a long time to come.

Also, does anyone know of any decent sites for trip reports? Could be Raymers or just anyones poker trip reports. I think that you can learn so much just from reading these.

Razor

[/ QUOTE ]
alot of trip reports are posted here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. negraneu,arieh,raymer and many other pros have reports. zeejustin.com has a good report too