Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 AM

Default More basic handreading.

Reads:

UTG is loose-passive preflop by shorthanded standards -- plays about 50% of his hands, raises around 7% of them. He's not incredibly aggressive postflop compared to tAG or lAG standards, but he's certainly not passive; he can find the bet/raise button with a good hand. Has a tendency to call down when beaten, even in the face of aggression. His raises are usually TPGK+, and not often bluffraises.

BB is loose-aggressive preflop (40% VPIP, 18%PFR), and aggressive postflop. Will continue betting until shown resistance. He's not particularly good at folding when it's clear he's beaten on the flop or the turn -- on the river he's not as bad, from what I've seen. He's got around 6.5BB remaining at the start of the hand and is not the type to cap "for the hell of it" from what I've seen.

I have a LAG image but am playing my usual game. Lotsa betting, lotsa raising with good hands. Lotsa folding with really bad hands.

Handranges for UTG and BB should be fairly easy. I think my hand should be pretty easily guessed as well, but we'll see. Also, given my river bet (and a full understanding that I try to be a thinking LAG), tell me what hands you'd be willing to raise the river with would be if you were UTG, and if you were BB. Try to ignore my river 3-bet when considering this, if possible.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with XX.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls $8.23 (All-In), UTG calls.

Final Pot: 20.32 BB
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: More basic handreading.

I'll start with you: On the flop there are quite a few hands you could call with getting 10:1 and closing the action, so the turn cold-call is really where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

I'm convinced you either turned the nut-straight w/ JT or hit part of your runner-runner diamond draw w/ Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or Kx[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (I'm leaning more toward the flush draw because I think you might just 3-bet immediately with the straight against this lineup.)

BB, I'll say AT.

UTG, I'll guess QK.

* I just woke up like 5 minutes ago, so if any of this post is really off the mark, I'm blaming it on that.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 AM

I put you on 45[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

You needed something more than just the backdoor flushdraw and the hand must have been somehow marginal preflop, because you didn't raise preflop....
Old 06-21-2005, 11:42 AM

I'll take a shot.

BB must have something like AA or AT.

UTG looks like A3 or AQ.

Did you have the T9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]????
Old 06-21-2005, 11:50 AM

You have Ax [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB thinks you're donkbetting the scare-card river, so he tried to represent a flush, but he had AK and raised the river in an unsuccessful attempt to push UTG off of his J,10 turned straight, because he figures you have a worse 2-pair and would've gone for a C/R with a straight or a flush.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:02 PM

OP: I put on suited AT (bonus if AT diamonds, but for me I cannot tell whether you have the absolute nuts or not -- the straight alone is good enough).

You are EP (in SB) and if you were playing as usual, then you wouldn't pick an unsuited AT, and other hands seem unlikely given that you called a raise PF and the betting patterns that followed. I considered pocket tens, but I figured that you might have raised PF if you had had that.

Your initial flop check would be consistent to me because of your medium kicker -- you want to see what the initial raiser is going to do. Especially if you know he's loose-aggressive, then you can pretty much count on a check-call with this board due to his possibly betting with a pair of Kings.

BB: Since he seems like an aggressive player, I'd put him on a wider range of hands: Ax, Kx, QT, JT. Given the raise on the river, I'm more inclined to think QT/JT/KT.

If I was BB and I saw this river, I would raise with AT-JT. No other hands would I raise with. I'd obviously raise with any two diamonds, but it'd be unlikely that I would have stayed around to the river on a BDFD without something pairing on the board or a straight draw.

UTG: He's passive, so it's more likely he'd only call a raise PF with AQ, AJ or JT. Given the way he raised on the turn indicates two pair at least. Given UTG calling on the river (I ignored bets after the UTG call on the river as OP requested to ignore the Hero 3bet), it seems that two pair is most likely, and rules out JT.

I hope Entity posts some answers.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:15 PM

BB is AT, UTG is a decent Ax, and you are 45 with a gutshot, &amp; backdoor on the flop?

i think as a thinking lag, i might 3 bet any ten in my hand considering that UTG is sticking around and that BB is all in. you dont have to worry about a cap...and hopefully you are just padding a chop. of course i also reraise with any kind of flush.

edit: yeah, on the second look, a flush is the only hand i can see you taking two on the turn without reraising and then betting out on the river.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:19 PM

I didn't even consider the 45[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Would LAG-ish play include calling raises from EP SB with suited 45?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:20 PM

BB has: JJ/TT/AT
UTG has: KQ/JT/33
Hero has: JT/A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Edit: I agree, 45 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is also a great possibility.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 PM

i just dont see him peeling on the flop (and calling two on the turn) and going nuts on the river without some flush hand...and that means he must have had something other than just a BDFD on the flop. ace rag of diamonds is of course another possibility.

the river play i think might be ok with just a ten in hand...but i cant see how he would get there with T? given his action.