Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 10:17 AM

Default MTT players, critique requested (Leak)?

Hello All,

I know this is pretty long, but I would really appreciate some feedback.
In assessing my game over the last two weeks, a trend has developed and I would like to members thoughts on this.

I have not played online much lately, so I haven't played that many tournys. But my results have been respectable; cashed all, final table in all but one. BUT when I bust out of the tourny, I am either the small or the big blind. So I think I need to do some evaluatin'.

To break it down:

Tourny 1:

40 people MTT live

10 left and I am average stack and have about 11-12 bb. Chip leader is to my right and has become very aggresive after winning a big pot recently

In big blind am dealt AJos, All players fold to SB who raises 5 times BB. I put him on a steal, and am almost certain I am ahead.

I push, he calls due to pot odds and his big stack. Turns over 68os. Flop brings a 6, and I get no help and am out of the tourny, one place from cashing.

I made the right read based on the cards, I just got unlucky, but maybe I could have played it differently?
Thoughts?

Tourny 2:
Live 40 people, with rebuys (50E). Made the final table though tight agressive play most of the time, which allowed me to steal from time to time too. I did play alot of showdowns however (when I was strong), got away from trouble hands very well.

Bust out hand:

6 players left, in big blind dealt and 78s, one limper UTG, SB folds. I check.
Flop:

7, 5, 4 Rainbow.

I decided to push (blinds were very large compared to stacks, I was average and had UTG covered).

He calles, shows AK (yeah he limped with it)

Turn, 3
River, 2

Making his straight, so he sucked out, bad beat. BUT I think I made the right move, I got my money in as a big fav.

I don't think anyone would disagree...would they?

Tourny 3:

Online $50, 30 player tourny:

Very strong tourny for me, maybe my best string of play. Don't need to discuss.

Tourny 4:

$10 MTT sattilite to larger buy in tourny, ~300 entries.

Another very good game for me, after about level 4 was chip lead, until we got to the final 8 which qualified.

Tourny 5:

Live tourny, 85 players 20Euro entry with rebuys.

7 players left, 2 big chip leaders, the rest about 7-8x BB. I am at about 7xBB.

In small blind dealt KJos, all fold to the button, who calls.

I have a good read on this guy, he is a really weak player only reaching the final table after being dealt Pocket kings 4 times over the course of about an hour. I was sitting to the left of him the whole time, so studied him well. I played most of his hands very passively, only raised his kings and called the rest (and his range was wide, k9 a few times etc).

I decided to push. He called and turned AK, so I made a bad read, and got no help.

In retrospect, maybe KJ wasnt the best to push with, but I was pretty sure he was dead money and would fold.

All in all this was a good tourny for me, I had the coldest deck imaginable but still managed to make it to the final table through intellegent betting and picking my spots very well.

Tourny 6.

PP sunday 350K garunteed.

In the money already, but short stacked 4xBB. Bad tourny for me, couldnt get anything going. Lost with AK to cut my stack in half about 10 mins before, essentially just surviving and trying to double/tripple up.

In small blind, get AJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP+2 raises 1.5 BB, button calls. I decide that I am not going to last much longer anyway and this is a good shot at a double/triple up. I push. Both call.

Flop comes all low diamonds. MP+2 goes all in and button folds. MP shows AK and no jack comes along on turn or river.

Thought this would be my chance to get back in it, but I was dominated. Anybody else push here with a raise and a caller already, or is this an easy fold and try to push at a better spot in the orbit?

So that is it, 4/6 bust outs in the blinds (also just after getting in the money). So that seems to be a trouble point for me.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: MTT players, critique requested (Leak)?

tourny 1 - you can't cold call, because you have no position and he is most likely calling if he hits any piece of flop. It's either a raise or fold. AJo is not a very good hand but if you have enough confidence in your read i say call. You had an average stack, however, with the button coming your way. If you thought you would be able to do well without those chips i say fold.

tourny 2 - if he calls ur push with AK he'll most likely call your bet. nothing you can do. i pushed on a flop of 886 with AK and got called by KQ in my last tourny. he hit the Q, you can't do anything.

tourny 5-
no need to push. if he is a passive player, take a flop with him, get some chips out of him. besides, he's most likely calling you with ATs. KJo is bad news bears.

tourny 6 - my dad has this joke where he says - "you can tell how well u did in a tournament based only on the # of JACKS you are dealt." losing hands you have listed are - AJo, KJo, AJs. in a MTT AQ is a tough hand. this makes AJ just AWFUL. a lot of people will limp with hands like AQo and AKo (granted a lot more will raise with them). my best advice to you is to take more flops.