Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Was this played correctly?

First time posting in SSNL. I used to post in the 1-table tournament forum but switched to SSNL a few months ago. I was interested in everybody's opinion of this hand. I think I may have played this too agressively and gave away my hand.

UTG+2 has been pretty lucky to have such a stack. He is very loose and plays most hands. His range here is huge. I normally lead the flop in this case but I was fairly sure that MP2 would push here seeing as he was pretty pot committed. UTG+2 came along for the ride as I hoped. Seeing as his range of hands is so big here, should I have called the flop bet? Maybe raised a little less? Is leading the flop better here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (10 handed) converter

Button ($15.9)
SB ($24.05)
BB ($17)
UTG ($22.3)
UTG+1 ($24.65)
UTG+2 ($132.75)
Hero ($33)
MP2 ($5.9)
MP3 ($20.5)
CO ($23.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $4.15 (All-In)</font>, UTG+2 calls $4.15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: ($29.15) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($29.15) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $29.15
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Was this played correctly?

I don't like the check on the flop. With 2 to the flush on the board you need to lead out and make em pay to draw. The wide range of hands UTG+2 has means you need to find out where he is now, not after a potential free card.

That said, since your check raise, in effect worked, the big reraise probably cost you some additional pottage. I would think that now knowing that UTG+2 is on a draw based on his call of MP2, and his fairly loose image, I would say he has a couple overcards that included the Ah, probably A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Ko. You may have been able to extract another $4 or so on the flop and if he was sitting on A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Qo a big chunk of his stack from there based on the turn card.

MP-2s push is insignificant, whether it is an attempt to steal the pot or he has AA/KK/QQ (in which case his preflop reraise was a bit weak).

Unless you were up against MP2 QQ I would think you took this pot down with MP2 showing JJ/KK.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM

What I like to do if I think the short stack will push (MP2 in this case) bet &lt;1/2 what he has(so about $2), let him push, UTG+2 calls (hopefully) and then minraise his push to get more cash in.

Then you can decide the tempo when you see the turn.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM

make a smallish raise so that he'll call and start a side pot......you are basically pushing at a dry side pot here, and he isn't biting, as people don't do that unless they are 1) stupid, or 2) sitting on a monster. That being the case, you have to give him reasons to call your bets on future streets, so maybe a $2 or $3 raise or something to start building a side pot sounds about right to me.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Given that UTG raised PF and then called a min-raise, I don't think he's playing any hand with a very strong draw here. That said, it's a pretty big pot so you do have to protect your hand. It's not even a particularly big check raise, and given that UTG+2 just checked and called, it doesn't seem like he really loves his hand. He could have JJ, but I think you'd get paid off by that most of the time at this level, so its probably more likely he just had AK or something.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the check on the flop. With 2 to the flush on the board you need to lead out and make em pay to draw. The wide range of hands UTG+2 has means you need to find out where he is now, not after a potential free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. The OP's line is correct: check it and let MP2 push all-in, which he is going to do the vast majority of the time. This traps UTG inbetween, which is exactly what you want.

Once UTG comes in for the ride, djoyce is correct. You want to start to build a sidepot. Raise another 4 bucks or so and suck him in even more. Pushing into a dry side pot is generally incorrect.