Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

[ QUOTE ]

Also someone mentioned that they were devout atheists. How can someone be devout at a belief in nothing? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You are either atheist or not... right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The word devout doesn't just have religious connotatations.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: negreanu religious view?

My only thoughts on this are along the lines of "Where does it stop?"

Where is the line between political correctness and being thoughtful of other people.

This is a personal line for everyone, and I find myself in the same predicament. Example - I personally have no problem with the nickname "Jesus" even though I'm a christian, but I do have a problem with the Unabomber because it seems to go out of the way to promote a tv personality without regard to the feelings of others.

Before you write this off, ask yourself what and where your personal line is. It stops being politically correct when it hits you in the face. For instance, would people be offended by Mike Sexton et. al. dubbing a good player from DC the "DC Sniper"? or an older player that is very good and takes pride in snapping of the jerks in the crew being dubbed "The Child Molester"?

These examples may seem inflamatory at first, but the argument that people just need to relax and not take things so seriously is easily made by people who haven't put a lot of though in to what may offend them and how silly that may sound to others.

One more thought - anyone have a problem with "The Tiger Woods of Poker" nickname?

Thanks, and any thoughts are welcome.

twomarks
Old 06-21-2005, 03:16 PM

If daniel is offended by such things, then he must feel completely suicidal when he thinks about the real bad things in the world, such as the millions of iraqi children that have died due to the actions of the American government these past 15 years or so.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If daniel is offended by such things, then he must feel completely suicidal when he thinks about the real bad things in the world, such as the millions of iraqi children that have died due to the actions of the American government these past 15 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

millions of iraqi children huh? How'd you come up with that figure?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Several years ago a Jewish publication put out a listing of the ten greatest Jewish people of all time in their opinion. Moses was first. Einstein was second. And there in sixth position was Jesus (who they assumed was just a great man). Were they being disrespectful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual. If you believe this effect was negative, you could leave him off the list entirely. Otherwise, I could not see him being in any position other than 1st.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:54 PM

"Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual."

Einstein's stuff involves everything everywhere. Not just twenty percent of one species on one tiny planet for a few thousand years.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Hi Main:

I think you are confusing Jesus and Paul. After all it was Paul who get the "Way" going.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-21-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
millions of iraqi children huh? How'd you come up with that figure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it up. It's certainly a minimum of 1/2 a million when I last saw mention of the figures a number of years ago. 1/2 a million, 1 million, 2 million. Does it really matter on the exact figure? How many dead children would be acceptable?

Here's one link a google search turned up.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1084
Old 06-21-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If daniel is offended by such things, then he must feel completely suicidal when he thinks about the real bad things in the world, such as the millions of iraqi children that have died due to the inactions of the American government these past 15 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your [censored] kidding me you complete [censored] idiot? Look, I am NOT A fan of much of what our governments policy has been in the Middle East, but I am also not so [censored] diluded in the head that I would fail to realize that the responsibility for the death of Iraqis of all ages lays squarely at the feet of one monster - Saddam.

BTW, FYP.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Several years ago a Jewish publication put out a listing of the ten greatest Jewish people of all time in their opinion. Moses was first. Einstein was second. And there in sixth position was Jesus (who they assumed was just a great man). Were they being disrespectful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting him at 6th is a little strange to me. I don't see how you can doubt that Jesus had a more significant lasting effect on our world than any other individual.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you are talking about Chris Ferguson, I don't think 6th is too low (although I didn't know he was Jewish).

Seriously, the Biblical Jesus had a huge effect on our world, but it's hard to say how much of an effect the historical Jesus had. There may not even be a unique historical Jesus -- it's quite possible that something like 20% of the N.T. stories were based on events from one guy's life, 20% were based on events from another guy's life, 30% is an amalgamation of stories based on ten other guys, and 30% is just made up. Under that scenario (which is not so far-fetched), which guy gets to be on the top 10 list?