Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 02:59 AM

Default QQ as an overpair hand from .50/1-turn decision

VC six max, .50/1 blinds
i've bought in for $100 and am up to about $190,the villain of the piece is the only person with a similar stack...
i've been playing pretty straightforeward tight agressive stuff,have taken down a few pots without anyone seeing my cards,etc

earlier in the day i had had a really good run of cards at a table the villain was at,and took down several pots uncontested after the flop when i reraised with an over,check raised top two pair,etc
after this run ended the villain started reraising me a lot,i had to fold top pair top kicker cause i wasn't sure if
he was only reraising me cause of how i'd played or if he'd hit two pair or whatever...

anyway,that was earlier in the day...

this time around,i get QQ on the button,raise to $5,villain reraised to $20...this is after a period during which i raised fairly often...

flop is 4c Td 9h,he bets out 20,i call
turn is Jc,he bets 8,i make it 40,he goes all in,i call

in normal circumstances i wouldn't have played it this way,but i thought he might be making a play,and i did have an overpair and an open ender...

comments on all streets appreciated,this was a weird one...
results later
Old 06-21-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: QQ as an overpair hand from .50/1-turn decision

I can't fault you if you think he was just trying to put the moves on you. Did you consider re-raising pre-flop?

Up until his re-raise all-in I've got to think you're ahead, considering 1) Your raise looked like a steal attempt, 2) He was playing back at you previously. So it was what, about $110 back to you to call the all-in? Unless I'm extremely confident he might be making this move with any 2, I'll fold to the all-in. But, hey, what do I know? I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: QQ as an overpair hand from .50/1-turn decision

the reason i didnt want to reraise preflop is because i'll then have a lot of my stack in with QQ and an ace or king is pretty likely to come on the flop...i was pretty sure i was ahead but i wanted to keep the pot smallish,at these stakes its not uncommon for a player to decide he's just going to go all the way with a hand and take a stand against an unknown agressor with any two cards...
the reraise all in actually made me feel a bit more comfortable,it seemed a bit panicky,like he'd decided at the start he was going to "teach me a lesson/keep me honest" and suddenly the pot was spiralling out of control...
interested to hear what others have to say though,it was a weird hand