Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:19 PM

Default All In: Family pot or HU?

Let's say you are on the button with just enough to call and be all in. Which situation would you prefer: a total crap hand against all 9 players, or a strong hand against just the big blind?

If you choose the strong hand, what's the worst hand you would be willing to play against all 9 opponents?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: All In: Family pot or HU?

The latter

AA
Old 06-20-2005, 11:46 PM

% chance of winning with each / What specific hands? And does everyone have a 100bb stack and going in?

The answer is the same - the choice with highest ev.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:04 AM

It doesn't matter what their stacks are, or even whether it's limit or no limit. whatever the bet is when it gets to you, that happens to be your stack, and everyone has already called, or indicated somehow that they would.

I suppose i framed the original question a little poorly...I meant to ask, what is the worst hand with which playing it against 9 players would be higher EV than AA against 1 player.

Any pocket pair should clearly like the multiple players, as well as probably most suited connectors. How bout 1 gappers? 2 gappers? unsuited connectors?

--dan
Old 06-21-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose i framed the original question a little poorly...I meant to ask, what is the worst hand with which playing it against 9 players would be higher EV than AA against 1 player.

Any pocket pair should clearly like the multiple players, as well as probably most suited connectors. How bout 1 gappers? 2 gappers? unsuited connectors?

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question....
For any one hand vs. a field of 9 to have a greater EV than AA HU(vs one randome hand), that hand would need approx. an 85% chance (or greater) of winning. Given a field of 9 other players each playing random hands, i suspect something like JTs would do the job, but im not sure if it's even possible for one person vs. a field of 9 to have that equity... it'd make a good nite of pokerstoving tho!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For any one hand vs. a field of 9 to have a greater EV than AA HU(vs one randome hand), that hand would need approx. an 85% chance (or greater) of winning. Given a field of 9 other players each playing random hands, i suspect something like JTs would do the job, but im not sure if it's even possible for one person vs. a field of 9 to have that equity... it'd make a good nite of pokerstoving tho!

[/ QUOTE ]

85%? Isn't that a little high since you would stand to win 9x as much?

Your guess of JTs is about what i would think, too, as was the idea to go to pokerstove...but when i saw it was a download, i got lazy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--d
Old 06-21-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant to ask, what is the worst hand with which playing it against 9 players would be higher EV than AA against 1 player.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://gocee.com/poker/HE_Val_Sort.htm

AA wins 85.2% against one random player, which means your average profit is 70.4% of your stack, ignoring any dead money.

To do this well against 9 opponents, you need to win 17.04%. Here are the marginal hands that do that well: TT 17.2%, ATs 17.3%, KJs 17.6%, QJs 17.1%, AKo 17.2%.

Close misses: KTs 16.9%, QTs 16.6%, JTs 16.5%.

Despite what people say about AKo playing poorly in multiway pots and JTs playing well, AKo outperforms JTs against 1-9 random opponents.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA wins 85.2% against one random player, which means your average profit is 70.4% of your stack, ignoring any dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to see how you found 70.4%? I'm not disputing this statistic, but rather curious as to how you found it.
[ QUOTE ]
To do this well against 9 opponents, you need to win 17.04%.

[/ QUOTE ]Again, I'm just trying to understand how you justify this number. I'm interested in how you came to this conclusion.

-rex
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to see how you found 70.4%? I'm not disputing this statistic, but rather curious as to how you found it.

[/ QUOTE ]
0.852 * 2 stacks = 1.704 stacks, a profit of 0.704.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To do this well against 9 opponents, you need to win 17.04%.

[/ QUOTE ]Again, I'm just trying to understand how you justify this number.

[/ QUOTE ]
x*10 stacks = 1.704 stacks.
x=.1704 = 17.04%
Old 06-21-2005, 03:31 AM

It seems you are ignoring the SB...did the OP say something about that? If the SB folds in the HU scenario, then your ev is noticeably higher, so the 17% number would also have to be higher....

HD