Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: negreanu religious view?

What about if you believe the world would be better off if people did not believe that Jesus is the son of God? And that people who believe he is, need to be set straight for their own good (because they are believing something that is incorrect)?

Several years ago a Jewish publication put out a listing of the ten greatest Jewish people of all time in their opinion. Moses was first. Einstein was second. And there in sixth position was Jesus (who they assumed was just a great man). Were they being disrespectful?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:28 PM

well why does he name himself that..
Old 06-20-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious where in the Bible do you find a prohibition against gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Bible does not condemn gambling. In fact, there are several verses where the Bible may implicitly endorse gambling:

Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot."

Joshua 18:6: "Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God."

Acts 1:23-26: "And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles."

After all, what about Church bingo?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:40 PM

"The Bible does not condemn gambling. In fact, there are several verses where the Bible may implicitly endorse gambling:

Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.""

But why wouldn't God know the results beforehand?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Bible does not condemn gambling. In fact, there are several verses where the Bible may implicitly endorse gambling:

Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.""

But why wouldn't God know the results beforehand?

[/ QUOTE ]

God just likes the action.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Interesting. I had always assumed Daniel was from a jewish family background - just because of his East European name and the fact he's called Daniel! Oh and I think he once posted about hanging with some jewish guys when he was growing up.

Of course he might have just decided to become a Christian despite a non-Christian background, I don't know. He seems to have need to strongly differentiate himself from the mild assumptions of his family background [eg. vegetarianism, dismissal of book learning, choice of girlfriends, wacky creationist ideas etc] so perhaps it's all part of that.

I should say that I'm actually a huge DN fan despite he above comments! He's an incredible player when his A-game is working but I'm worried about his mental stability.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 PM

That's the most absurd thing I've ever read. To sum up:

Both Ferguson and Laak were given the names based on physical appearance (or, in Laak's case, costume). Each has taken to the nickname, but neither exploits it in an offensive way. (Now, if Laak responded to bad beats with "Here's a gift for you. Open the package when alone" it would be a different story.

Jeez, lighten up, Dannyboy.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Subject: Re: Isn't the Bible anti-gambling?

Quote:

Considering that gambling is a vice and is something that a strict Christian would not participate in, I am sure they could find a whole lot to complain about in regards to Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just curious where in the Bible do you find a prohibition against gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a theologian by trade or expertised but I thought the following was the generally accepted view of gambling:

Timothy 6:9,10 (chapter 6, verses 9 and 10:

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Rock27 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a theologian by trade or expertised but I thought the following was the generally accepted view of gambling:

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's great is that that quote says nothing whatsoever specific to gambling. Just another example of how the interpretation of religious texts is often highly dependent on the views of the interpreter.

(As you may have inferred, I don't think it's offensive that Ferguson and Laak have nicknames based on their resemblance to the public perception / generally accepted image of two characters. Perhaps I would be offended if Ferguson started proclaiming he was a religious figure, or Laak actually killed people, but probably not. Well, maybe if he killed people.)
Old 06-20-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like someone said before me, that has nothing to do with gambling. That has to do with the evils of greed and lust for money. I "gamble" because I enjoy playing a game. I don't do it for money, though money is the way we keep score in this game.