Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Is QQ the new AA on these boards?

[ QUOTE ]
as a reaction to the ridiculous oversimplification that I responded to. My main objection is to the "always" stance of the poster who said you HAVE to reraise QQ preflop and CANT get away on an undercard rainbow flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read the entire post again. What I said was...

[ QUOTE ]
You HAVE to raise this up pf to t300 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

My analysis was that Hero HAS to raise THIS QQ preflop and he can't get away from THIS rainbow flop. I never said or implied this is "always" the case. For example, much later in the tourney (shallower stacks) and with better reads on Villain, I might advocate a pf call with the plan of pushing/calling any flop, but I would prefer to be on the blinds in that situation.

The crux of this is that OP made this call so he could avoid "committing too many chips." This is a terrible way to approach QQ in the vast majority of situations and, certainly, is the case in THIS situation. By doing so, he left himself to be pushed off of a great flop for him by a lesser holding. That, by definition, is bad poker.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Is QQ the new AA on these boards?

[ QUOTE ]
because *to most internet players* your cold call represents a less-than-premium holding

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the point. It's very hard for them to pay you off if you make your hand strength abundantly clear.
[ QUOTE ]
... leading him to reraise the BB on the flop with his AJs against BBs 10J

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, this is also kind of the point. Normally seeing a flop like this allows us to mess up AJ on a J high flop or 99/TT/JJ on a raggedy flop. In calling preflop I would be hoping to get a fat pot going vs a dominated hand. However, sometimes the signs line up just wrong and your plan has to be tossed. When the BB leads out strong and the tight preflop early poistion raiser minraises and pot commits himself on this flop, suddenly warning bells are going off in my head. Sure, maybe youre up against JT and AJ but thats ONE of a LOT of combinations that you could be up against, and is HIGHLY unlikely given the situation. There are far more ways to be behind than ahead here on this flop, and without some additional read I'm mucking QQ here.

This also won't hurt your image at all or make them think they can push you around, as you just called preflop and tossed it on the flop. They have no idea that you had QQ.

-Kings
Old 06-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Overpair laydown...RESULTS

Alas, we will never know, although the poker gods sent me a cruel curveball on the turn.

I mucked on the flop and the BB called. The turn was a Q, which would have given me top set. BB checked, UTG set him all in. BB folded and UTG did not show.