Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Default River decision after your turn CR is called

Playing 2-4 nl at prima. I have about 400 after only playing one orbit so no real reads. Villan has me covered.He limps from the CO. Im in BB with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and get a free look so I check.

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Pot is about 15. sb checks. I bet 12. Villan min raises me to 24. In this game that normally means a set, but he could be doing this with a higher flush draw or who knows. I call. Anyone like reraising hereÉ (keyboard is messed, É = question mark)

I call. Pot is 62$ Turn comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I made my flush. I check, he bets 20$, I raise to 80, making sure not to give him a cheap draw to the fh or higher flush. Of course he could already have a higher flush, im not sure.

After some thinking he calls. My question is, what line do you take no the river for the following cards.

1) Any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2) A card that apirs the board.
3) A complete blank
Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: River decision after your trun CR is called

what position did the villain limp in from? any hand range you can put him on?
On a spade, I lead for $100 and fold to a push.
Board pairs, I check and fold to a significant bet.
On a blank I bet around the size of the pot, representing a semibluff on the turn which missed the river.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: River decision after your trun CR is called

Honestly i'm praying for the 4 or 8 of spade [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anything else and I am looking for the cheapest show down possible.

Blank I'll lead out a 100 bet and fold to an all in raise. If he has the balls to bluff you on that board after a sound river bet more power to him.

A spade that does not give you a straight flush or a board pair and i'm check calling only small to medium bets.

Small flushes are dangerous hands that can cost you a lot of money.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: River decision after your turn CR is called

well if he has a set, any spade hitting on the river and you are still good as the only spade he could possibly have is the 2. In that case I lead any spade on the river that doesn't pair the board, which again would have to be the 2.

any card that pairs the board I probably check call fearing the fh.

any blank I make a value bet. of around 30% - 50% of the pot.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: River decision after your turn CR is called

i have a totally different spin on this hand and please correct me on my logic if you differ.

to me, the salient point in this hand is the villan's mini raise with 2 spades clearly on the board. what does this say to you ???

in essense, he's begging you to call him with a flush draw (2 players left besides the villan). he's giving you ~ 4-1 ($12 to call a $50 pot) in a situation where you are about 39% to make the flush with 2 cards to come.

the mini raise says to me he can't be on a set, he must have something like a big flush draw AsXs or KsXs.

when the 3rd spade comes on the turn and he calls your pot raise of his probe bet, i think you are really in trouble.

i am aggressive and i have a different line. your hand has a lot of outs, but the outs to the weenie flush might not be very good. you have one out to the straight flush, 8 other outs to the flush and 3 other 4's to the gutshot straight. you are about 50/50 to make a good hand, a hand that beats a set, but most of them will be beaten by any other reasonable spade flush.

why not push the flop over his mini raise ???

if he has a set you are a coin flip to make a hand that beats the set and the pot will offer you ~ $430/$380, so that's a bet from your POV.

if he has a flush draw to the nuts, the $430/$380 he'll be getting doesn't compensate for the 61% he won't make the flush.... therefore he shouldn't call. and of course, if he doesn't have a big spade, he could be drawing dead even if he makes his flush.

if he does have a set, of course, he could suck you out and beat you even if you hit your hand (except the straight flush) by making quads or a boat on the turn or river, but i think it would take a lot of balls to call a push. he'd almost have to have the top set and a lot of balls. i just don't see him on a set with that mini raise.

anyway, i'd either fold to the miniraise or push....

i'll be ducking to avoid all flying rotten tomatos :-> :-> :->