Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
AngryCola 91 46.43%
tyfromm 105 53.57%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Poll: Are opening limpers loose fishes?

Do you instantly tag a player a loose fish (where money can be expected to be made), if we see him/her open limping?

Please note the key word 'instantly'. This question is directed to sites where the 'Game Time' in pokertracker is unavailable.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Poll: Are opening limpers loose fishes?

I would say, yes almost all of the time, but I keep in mind that there are exceptions. For example, maybe he has a read that he should play certain hands up front because the table isnt real aggressive pf. However most of the time, the player is mostly going to be donkish. At the same time most of the players are at least kinda donkish, so this is only one of the many donkish traits.

I didnt vote, because I didnt feel like this fit in either category.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM

What use is this poll for you? Just curious.

I voted no. Since most opponents are donks, and open-limping doesn't really distinguish one donk from another, I don't mark an open-limper as being particularly noteworthy. Everybody is a loose fish until proven otherwise.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 PM

I multi-table on sites that do not support Pokertracker and was just wondering how effective it is to instantly put a "loose" into my notes if the player open-limps.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 PM

No. I think tagging someone who open limps as a loose fishy would be a mistake. Its prolly a good assumption they arent an aggresive TAG who reads 2+2, but thats about all I'd assume given an open limp, and that doesnt mean they are an easy fish.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Default I have a confession

Many tight players openlimp on a regular basis. They may not be sufficiently aggressive or understand theory, but limping does not mean they play too many hands.

It also does not mean that they play badly postflop or that they make specific types of mistakes postflop.

Now about that confession. I've begun experimenting with openlimping on the button. When both blinds defend virtually anything, are unlikely to raise preflop, and play terribly postflop, I will expand my button opening range by limping hands that I normally would not play. Raising weak hands without showdown value is pointless under these circumstances but I should be able to make money by taking cheap flops with position.

I think it also does wonders for game preservation on those wonderful occasions where the game is three-handed or four-handed with multiple fish. There is big money in maintaining such a great game; playing extra hands and not raising every last time makes me a much more agreeable opponent.

If you see me and decide I don't know what I'm doing, that's good too.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: I have a confession

[ QUOTE ]
Now about that confession. I've begun experimenting with openlimping on the button. When both blinds defend virtually anything, are unlikely to raise preflop, and play terribly postflop, I will expand my button opening range by limping hands that I normally would not play. Raising weak hands without showdown value is pointless under these circumstances but I should be able to make money by taking cheap flops with position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight out of HEFAP. I believe there are situations where open-limping (whether UTG, Button, etc.) is acceptable.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: I have a confession

I had a situation last night against a 75/2 who was very passive postflop. The game got down to heads up and I started open raising with hands with showdown value and just completing with EVERY other holding when I was the small blind (big blind is the button). It was a dream. Unfortunately other players showed up shortly.

Cartman
Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 PM

your right. doesnt really mean they are loose. i kind of glossed over the loose decription and focused more on the fish term.

to clarify.... openlimping may not necessarily indicate looseness, but IMO it usually at least indicates lack of aggression (if not related to being overly loose)...... which is a fish-ish quality that is exploitable.

So IMO, one way or another it is usually.... but perhaps not always, a mark of a weak opponent....one that I am happy to be at the table with.