Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: US Open underway

We often overwater non links courses. Americans value lawn like looks over playing conditions. Somewhat surprising given the fact that Americans love driving over the overwatered grass in their buggies. You would think all the buggy riders would prefer a firm track to drive on. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Crybabies

[ QUOTE ]
The rock hard greens evens out the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think such greens reward those who know how to play them.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Crybabies

[ QUOTE ]
The players have to hit shots they never hit the other 45 weeks of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's a USGA event, not a PGA one. They have no obligation to accomodate touring pros. In fact, it would be wrong to do so.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 AM

Quick Trip report: Great weekend, great farmer’s tan!

Got there Friday and saw from 4:00 to the end. Worst part – I was a guest of Toru Taniguchi. Shingo Katayama did not make the cut either. Both players were +9. Toru was even after day 1, then blew up and missed the cut by one stroke! So his weekend was over when we arrived in Pinehurst. His condo was just off the driving range, easy walk to the main gate.

The player and his agent go to Japanese for dinner, but we want steak. We head to Outback Steak House. It’s packed, so we grab a seat at the bar. While walking in, we are standing with John Cook and his family (great guy), Stewart Cink (NO ONE even recognized – he was not wearing a hat) and a few other players that made the cut. We get our seats at the bar. To my left are two caddies of Australians (go figure – at Outback). I should listen better, because I forgot their names. But, we were watching ESPN highlights and the guy is on TV, as his player misses a putt. To our right is, Michael Campbell. We start talking with him. No one even recognizes him. They only really recognize Cook. We’re talking with Campbell and his “agent” for about 15 minutes, until they their table gets called. At this time on Friday, no one knows we were talking golf with the 2005 US Open Champion.

We get back to the condo and Toru’s caddie is going to a “gentleman’s club with a few other caddies.” We drive them and go too. What a great time. Nuff said!

We get the Open Saturday about 9:00. Again, we arrive in the Player’s parking lot. We take a small walk to the range and watch for about an hour. Els, VJ, Davis Love and Mike Weir were fun to watch. We followed Love for 6 holes (since his agent is a good friend of ours). Then went back for the Daily/Mickelson 2-some. Their crowd was very big.

We are there for about 3 hours now and I realize that I lost my “Player’s guest pass.” I had it about 5 minutes before, so I run back to 1 tee and look and ask – it’s gone. So basically, I am stuck. But this works out, I go to 18 Green and sit. I basically watch everyone finish. It was great how much support Peter Jacobson gets. He’s a riot. When he holed 9, and they posted it on the board, the place went nuts. Mickelson and Daily received the biggest ovation. But the shot of the day was when Goosen Birdies from the fringe. Shame he had a rough day on Sunday.

Over all, best part of the trip was talking with the 2005 US Open champion for about 15 minutes.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:18 PM

WOW....great story!!!