Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Having trouble at Bodog, example enclosed

I was bored at the sites I normally play and wanted to try something new, so I've been playing at Bodog. The tables I've been at are very loose, 50% seeing the flop on a very regular basis, limping and calling raises with all manner of trash from in and out of position. I'm used to a much more predictable style of play. So, any general advice on how to play against "bad" players (and the quotes are intentional because I'm getting my ass kicked) would be very much appreciated.

I'm in general now feeling lost, here's an example of a hand I don't understand:

Bodog $1 BB (9 handed)
Hero is button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($97.50 behind)
1 limper in MP ($119.25 behind)
Hero makes is $5, MP calls

Flop 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot $11.50)
MP checks, Hero bets $8, MP calls

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](Pot $27.50)
MP checks, Hero bets $20, MP calls

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot $67.50)
MP checks, Hero checks

Results in white:
<font color="white">MP shows AhKh, two pair aces and kings
Hero shows AcJc, one pair aces
MP wins </font>
Old 06-20-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Having trouble at Bodog, example enclosed

I don't think that there is much that you can do in that situation. I personally hate AJ-AQ because it is very hard to know where you are in the hand. One of the big thing that I found playing that type of players is that someone will usually call you PFR but when they do call your bet on the flop, you really have to assume that they did hit something and that they are not scared of the ace on the board. I don't think that I would of bet again on the turn for the simple fact that he could of called the BB with a suited connector like 9T and when you raised he could of just as easily called it thinking, "oh well, I already have money invested in the pot" and have you beat already. So usually I stop on the turn if I got called on the flop unless I really hit big or if I know the player good.