Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: AK... too strong!?

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop you could easily be behind to AA,KK or QQ. But then you could be ahead of JJ or TT, or chopping with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt JJ/TT would go full-throttle on a board with two overcards.

I think this is a WA/WB situtation (as JJ-TT are drawing thin, AA-QQ have you pwned, and AK is chopping -- what about AQs or KQs? Doesn't really change anything either way), and as such I just call down unless something weird happens.

Once you raise and get popped again, is it really worth it to take this to showdown? It'll be 2 more BB for a 11BB pot; so you need to be good more than one in 6 times. Buh. The problem is the most likely 3-betting hand that you aren't dead meat against is one you are chopping with, which hurts your equity. So you are either going to showdown to either get pwned (as you have no redraws against any of his holdings that beat you) or to chop. Wahoo.

An aside:

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, especially considering BB's restealing range here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's giving the BB waaaaay too much credit. I would only widen the range against a thinking player who is position and situtation-aware; which is quite the rarity at this limit.

-K
Old 06-19-2005, 09:28 PM

The more I think about it, the more I like the wa/wb line in this spot. There aren't really many hands that BB could have that are neither way ahead or way behind. So I like calling down from the flop on, and bet if villain checks.

I like the pf cap against an opponent who is aggressive in blind defense since we dominate a fair amount of hands he could have. Against an unknown, it may be better to just call.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:29 PM

Without any reads, yeah, way too aggressive. Capping PF is cool, because he might be trying to punish a steal raise here. Raising the flop is cool too, but after he 3 bets the flop, I'm calling him down. What is he 3 betting the flop with that you can beat, except a maniacal bluff?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 AM

PREFLOP: I don't like to cap with AKo. AKs maybe, but being suited is probably more significant when there are more people in the hand.

FLOP: I'd go into call down mode after BB 3-bets my flop raise. He might have AA, KK or QQ in which case your in deep doo doo. He might have AK in which case your're only going to chop. He could have a weaker King and a flush draw, but when he bets out the turn, it looks more like one of the former, so I continue to only call down.

Edit after reading the thread: PREFLOP: Ya, BB might have 3-bet in a blind defence, so a cap might be OK here.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:33 AM

I have no thoughts regarding the PF cap, but I don't think enough.

I think folks are probably right about the wa/wb, but I still like your flop raise. Villain's 3-bet says he has something, and all the PF action suggests that it is big... so I'd go into call down mode.

If your opponent was even close to being laggy, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him turn over KT, and going crazy with blind defense and top pair in a HU situation.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:50 AM

Grunching

Yeah, you need to slow down. Put yourself in your opponents position. What does he think you have? You have AK, which worse hand will play back this strong? If he has KJ, he would have to think you have KT or worse to play back. Not likely when you cap preflop and flop. So he probably doesn't have KJ or worse when he bets the turn. He has to have AK, KQ, AA, QQ or KK since I don't see him 3-betting from BB with K2. The pot is big though, and you can't be pushed off this hand if he does have a worse hand so you have to call down. I don't think I would cap the flop, I would call down his 3-bet.