Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: AA facing crazy aggression

[ QUOTE ]
there won`t be many people holding overcards to the aces...

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you on that one [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The only draws a flop raise knocks out are the draws you already have badly beaten, like pocket pairs. Draws with more than four outs will call you no matter how many bets you put in on the flop. Strong draws, like OESD, will also call you on the turn no matter how much you raises. You can do nothing to knock them out, they will call you anyway. All you can do are just hope they miss. Your main target in this hand is instead someone with a gutshot or a pair. They are correct to call two SBs on the flop but not two BBs on the turn (middle/bottom pair will be correct to call two BBs on the turn too if they knew what you had, but they will often missread your hand and fold anyway).

So the best strategy in this hand is IMO to just call on the flop, planning to raise the turn. If you don't understand I think you should reread SSH.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only draws a flop raise knocks out are the draws you already have badly beaten, like pocket pairs. Draws with more than four outs will call you no matter how many bets you put in on the flop. Strong draws, like OESD, will also call you on the turn no matter how much you raises. You can do nothing to knock them out, they will call you anyway. All you can do are just hope they miss. Your main target in this hand is instead someone with a gutshot or a pair. They are correct to call two SBs on the flop but not two BBs on the turn (middle/bottom pair will be correct to call two BBs on the turn too if they knew what you had, but they will often missread your hand and fold anyway).

So the best strategy in this hand is IMO to just call on the flop, planning to raise the turn. If you don't understand I think you should reread SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being too narrow-minded. There are more concepts in SSH than waiting for the turn to raise. Raising for pot equity is just as important (given the pf action, there's no way that you will successfully be able to apply the turn raise concept).
Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 PM

you propose i should reread SSHE if i disagree with you? there is nothing wrong with rereading SSHE, but your condition is dumb.

to point it out again: i don't see any chance to protect the hand. that's why i just want to push my pot equity edge as hard as possible.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you propose i should reread SSHE if i disagree with you? there is nothing wrong with rereading SSHE, but your condition is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize for my previous post. I didn't mean to offend you. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
to point it out again: i don't see any chance to protect the hand. that's why i just want to push my pot equity edge as hard as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand the argument about pushing your edge (and it's a good one!), but I think you actually can protect your hand.

When MP1 bets out on the flop there are 22 SBs in the pot. If you raise, the people behind you will get 12-to-1 to call. That doesn't protect your hand but, yes, you push your edge. On the other hand, if you just calls MP1's flop bet and a few people behind come along and don't raise, there will be about 26 SBs or 13 BBs in the pot. Then on the turn if MP1 bets out again, you can raise and face the field with 2 BBs. They will get about 8-to-1 for a call, not enough to call profitable with a gutshot. A turn raise also has the benefit that people will misread your hand. You overrepresent your hand by raising and people may fold weak draws they should have called with if they knew what you had.

Of course, this plan of waiting until the turn to show your muscles will be ruined if someone raises behind on the flop. Then you will have to reevaluate the new situation and decide what to do. But my initial plan would be to wait to the turn.

Unfortunately (for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]), after reading the other responses it seems as I am the only one with this opinion.