Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Male vs. Female

[ QUOTE ]
Sup people, I was just wondering if anyone else feels that a stricly women's poker tournament at the World Series every year is ridiculous. Women have always demanded the respect to be treated equally in wanting to participate in the same events as men, so why do they need their own tournament at the World Series. Is it too hard for them to finish well in tournament's with men? This brings me to the question of whether or not anyone thinks that men have a better knack for the game to begin with. I've played many times with women and find myself wondering if there is any advantage to being a male over a female at the table. If there isn't then why do they have their own event at the world series? I'm not sexist or anything by any means, just curious of other people's thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there would be something ridiculous about a women's tour, or a tournament that for every open event had an equivalent women's event, simply because there is no handicap for women that prevents them from competing straight up against the men.

But for an occaisional women's tournament here or there, I don't see any problem. Heck there's a dealers event (and isn't there a media event?) and I don't hear you complaining about that.

The thing is women aren't being systematically segregated off, and you as a man, aren't losing any significant oportunities, because of this one women's event. So I think its an insignificant issue to have this one event.

If I were a woman, I might be inclined to consider it a second tier event simply because its not an open event, the same way if I were a dealer I wouldn't consider winning that event on a par with winning an open event (and in fact, that one would have to be below winning the women's event).

They can bring all kinds of formats and events to the table without diminishing the WSOP. It brings people in and its fun.

Until something like this seriously impacts the opportunities available to you, I'd say let it go. Now if you come back next year and of the 42 events, 20 of them are women only events...then I'd say you have a beef.

--Zetack