Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Need directions on transferring data/files/crap to new computer

Simplest way, use your network to transfer the files.

If your computers are part of the same network go to the next step, if not run the MS networking wizard to network your comps and get the settings to where you can transfer files between them.

Once you have the comps networked you can manually transfer the files you want.

XP has a files and settings transfer wizard that might make some things easier for you. It is usually located on your start menu Start-- accessories-- system tools-- Files and settings transfer wizard.

Connecting the hard drive to the new machine.
Sometimes this is very easy, a hard drive only has a power connector and a controller cable connection so there is not a whole lot to it.

Hard drives also have jumper settings that must be correct or your comp will not see both hard drives.

The Hard disk will have a diagram or something on it that shows the jumper settings. Sometimes its just text or letters but it is always there in some form.

I will try to give you a basic idea but the jumper settings are dependant on how the drives are cabled and whether or not they are sharing a cable or are connected to a cable by themselves.

If 2 Devices(2HDD or (HDD and CDD)) are connected to the same cable one will have to be set to master and one to slave. There is a 3rd setting called cable select you could also use but I have had problems with that in the past so I am going to ignore that option.

If both devices are connectected to their own controller cable as a single device. Both can be set to master, some HDD even refer to this setting as single.

Transfering files with the hard drive is faster but if you decide to go that route don't let it frustrate you if you run into problems.(That always seems to cause more problems) Your new comp could use a SATA cables on the hard disk and cd drives. If that was the case you would be saying everyone telling you it was easy was crazy. You can't even hook up the cables up to your old hard drive there is no way to plug it in. Just post back what you find if you have problems and describe what you ran into and what is happening.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:49 AM

When i did this i just swaped hard drives and used partion magic (got it from a friend) and it copied 40gigs worth in pretty fast to my 160gig hard drive. (i also know its pretty easy to get this program from like limewire or any other DL site. works like a charm
Old 06-17-2005, 10:55 AM

Allright, I'm thinking I'll transfer over the network. In another thread Remote Desktop was brought up. Anyone know what this is?