Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Default 8-3 against LP and LA.

BB here plays too many hands preflop, such as any two suited, any high card(s), and seems equally aggressive with marginal holdings as well as draws. He also seems prone to bluff, as I've seen him raise a low-paired flop with a hopeless hand like T-high HU and bluff all the way to the river UI. Other times, he has legitimate (if somewhat strange) holdings that opponents mistakenly raise or call to the river. UTG+1 is a passive calling station.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB bets out. Called to me and I decide to raise. BB 3-bets. UTG+1 calls and MP2 drops out. I think and decide to cap.

Turn: (8.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

BB bets out. Called to me and I consider raising before calling.

River: (11.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

BB bets, UTG+1 calls, I overcall.

Final Pot: 14.66 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: 8-3 against LP and LA.

I may just call the 3-bet on the flop and raise the turn, but I too make the crying call on the river if it goes down like you played it (and against those opponents).
Old 06-16-2005, 06:25 PM

Raise the turn.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Would you recommend raising the turn if I had not provided the precise reads I had provided? Does your plan of raising the turn involve folding anywhere to any further aggression on any street?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Nah, I'd try to shut UTG+1 out of the pot either way. If UTG+1 raises the river I'd prob fold seeing the flush get there. But I don't want to fold this hand often.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:06 PM

LAGs/maniacs have had the goods against me so frequently when I've played back at them lately that I probably would have played this hand the exact same way you did.

Anyway, BB may have bluffed all the way to the river in some previous hands, but how often did he bluff 3-bet the flop and then bluff the turn after the flop was capped?

It sounds like he could easily be badly overplaying something, so I don't have a problem with putting in a raise on the turn before calling down. But your hand is far from the nuts, and slowing down where you did seems okay to me too.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Results

BB had T9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a monster draw that came in. Oftentimes he will be as aggressive with much less.
The surprise was the passive calling station that had a flopped set with 77. Oftentimes he will call down with much less.