Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Suggestion For Mat Sklansky

Please allow discussion of the reputability of rakeback affiliates. I understand that you do not want this forum littered with affiliate advertising (which I am not advocating that you allow), but I really think that you are doing the community of 2+2 posters a disservice by forbidding discussion of the reputability of rakeback affiliates. As there essentially is no means of legally enforcing the contractual promises made by rakeback affiliates, reputational checks are all that exist to keep them honest. Allowing posters to warn others of deadbeat affiliates making fraudulent promises would help prevent us from getting ripped off. It would also give the affiliates an incentive to keep their customers happy.

I must admit, my motivations for advocating this rule are not wholly beneficent. I signed up for an account using one of the rakeback affiliates advertising in this forum's classified ads, and I have not been paid. In other words, I am a consumer, and I am mad as hell that I have been scammed.

If you are going to forbid discussions regarding the reputability of rakeback affiliates, then, IMO, you should also prohibit them from advertising. I realize that by accepting this affiliate's advertising money and posting his promises, 2+2 did not "vouch" for him. But, before signing up, I searched the web to the best of my ability to find if he was reputable. The only other forum I found with a discussion of the affiliate had a post claiming that he had glowing "reviews from 2+2ers." I could have easily verified this claim if I could have posted a question about the affiliate's reputation in this forum. But because I, and other posters, abide by the rules, I was hamstrung in my efforts to discover whether the advertised affiliate was trustworthy.

I realize that you (or someone else) may have reasons for disallowing discussions of the reputability of rakeback affiliates that I have not considered. If so, I am interested to hear them. Thank you for considering my suggestion.

Joshua
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Suggestion For Mat Sklansky

There is exactly such a forum at rake rebate review, if I'm not mistaken. Go there.

Frankly, I wish the mere term 'rakeback' were banned on this forum. It would make adjudicating all these grey area cases where people start their post with "I hope I'm not crossing the rakeback line here but..." a hell of a lot easier.

Not sure if you were around this time last year, but every other post in here pertained to an affiliate program. It sucked. I'm sorry to hear you got scammed, or so it seems. I just don't think that making it a free-for-all reviewing forum is the solution.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:20 PM

Or maybe create a new forum for rakeback issues/questions. I realize that RBR has them already, but maybe with some real 2+2'ers posting there, it might carry some meaning.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is exactly such a forum at rake rebate review, if I'm not mistaken. Go there.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only problem with this is that the Zoo actually gets traffic; the RRR boards are pretty much dead, 90% of the time. When the only people responding to your post are affiliates themselves, you can't really expect a useful answer.

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, I wish the mere term 'rakeback' were banned on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is, but that's an unwritten rule and Mat seems unwilling to state it explicitly in the "no affiliates" sticky.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM

There's 790 rakeback posts already.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:28 PM

I still think this is way more trouble than it's worth. This solution is just BEGGING for trouble, especially given the fact that many rakeback programs are relatively dubious from the sites' points of view. Do we really want to create a dedicated forum for their discussion on the most widely read internet poker board?

This 'solution' has been considered before and rejected. I do sympathize with people whose rakeback arrangements don't turn out peachy. But people get scammed in every walk of life...I think creating such a forum has 'bad idea jeans' written all over it.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Allowing rakeback discussion is just an invitation for spamming and advertising. And it will just end up in "The thing that ate the forum".
Old 06-16-2005, 10:25 PM

SINCE the acceptable/appropriate place to post about your rip-off is the feedback forum at the rake rebate review site (and other such sites),

BUT nobody ever goes there unless they're in the market for an affiliate or like you have been ripped off,

YET many of us would want to read about it if one of our beloved affiliates is dropping the ball,

I PROPOSE that a good solution might be to write up and post about the rip off at some other (more appropriate) site; and then post a message on here something like "Read how (unnamed) affiliate ripped me off--details on SITE XYZ--postername=screwedagain"

That should make everybody happy, if such a thing is possible on this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 AM

Going through Rakebackreview is the best option. Find your affiliates there and if you have problems, the mod over there will help. I know because I found an affiliate there and signed up, then had communication problems and wasn't getting any info. After contacting the mod there the problem was fixed within 12 hours.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 AM

if you're worried about your affiliate, you can always check that site once a week or whatever.