Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Casual poker player looking to improve

I've been a casual poker player (most weekends, the occasional weekday) on Paradise Poker for about a year and a half now. I'm profitable, but I'm looking to move up in limits (three tabling NL 50 now, have been cashing out money occasionally) and maybe move over to a party skin to gain rake back and more profitablilty. The books, Poker Tracker, bonus whorring, 2+2 posting/reading and a new site all seems like a lot to just start doing. Any advice on how to really get my feet wet and start making myself a more profitable player? All comments welcome and appreciated!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Casual poker player looking to improve

Get out there and play a lot of poker. There is no substitute for experience...but all that other stuff helps [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Casual poker player looking to improve

[ QUOTE ]
The books, Poker Tracker, bonus whorring, 2+2 posting/reading and a new site all seems like a lot to just start doing. Any advice on how to really get my feet wet and start making myself a more profitable player? All comments welcome and appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]
Chose one book and read it. Just take a look at what's out there and try to figure out what aspect of your game needs the most improvement. If you want solid game theory, buy Theory of Poker. If you want some agressive No Limit strategy, buy Super System...

If you want to continue multitabling, you'll probably need poker tracker. But dropping one table and focussing on your reads will improve your game much more than buying PT will.

Bonus Whoring: if you have 500$, just move it around a little. Open a party account, clear the bonus. Then move all of it to another site. You don't have to play four sites at the same time. Just keep it simple.

2+2 posting/reading: Try to focus on the posts that apply to your game. Post the hands that you struggle the most with. Answer to questions you think you know the answer to, but would like some discussion on.

There's no hurry, so just take it easy and remember: it's only a game. If you try to push yourself to make more money, become more agressive, move up in limits, add more tables... you'll just turn the game into a grind. And you might start losing.

Hope this helps. Good luck.