Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: ethical question

thanks learner,

1st good response I got to this question and I appreciate. I myself couldn't make 200K per year and few can, but I think I'm good enough to provide for my future family consistantly with my main source of income being $$ from online cards. The money I would make playing in my estimation would be 3X more than my current job so I just wanted to throw this question out there to see what people thought. The situation I face every day is knowing that it's detrimental to my income going to work everyday bc that means less time on the poker tables at night. If a man's sole purpose is to contribute to his family by being the best possible provider....then I am not accomplishing what I was sought out to do. However, playing online cards doesn't contribute to society and that's where the delimma arises.

Thanks for the input,

LOC
Old 06-16-2005, 04:14 PM

For God's sake, what job are you considering that will contribute to society?
Teacher?
Doctor?
Plumber?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:17 PM

I pay no tax as I'm in the UK. I had a similiar thing. However, playing poker for a living is basically not all that fun. I'd rather have a job I enjoy (I work for a poker site), and play poker for a hobby. I can still make my ~$20k from poker a year, and earn considerably more. Sure, I could make more if I just played poker, but it's boring, it takes over your life, and it's not really something I could be happy with as a career.

Poker's best as a hobby, in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote: "1st good response I got to this question"

Maybe you should change that to "1st response I got to this question that I liked".

Making as much money as you can does not make you a good provider. Being a good husband and good father is the best contribution you can make to your family. And that's an easy thing to do if you are a happy person. It's not about money, it's about doing what makes you happy.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Does anybody really care about \"society\"?

F everyone else. I'm here to enjoy my time, family and friends.

Since when should I have a sense of duty to some concept such as "society"?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:27 PM

I'd consider a plumber being a productive member of society. No one likes backed up toilets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I just don't get these "I need to be a productive member of society" types. If it's that important, go join the Peace Corps or find a cure for cancer.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:43 PM

Temet-

I wasn't asking for a definition of what a "good provider" was. I was asking everyone who read the question not to look too much into post and just answer the opinionated question. Maybe I should have replaced "good provider" with "a person trying to maximize total income while being productive to society in some way"(assuming poker is not being productive to society). I understand that being a good provider doesn't just mean bringing home the dough for his/her family.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Temet-

I wasn't asking for a definition of what a "good provider" was. I was asking everyone who read the question not to look too much into post and just answer the opinionated question. Maybe I should have replaced "good provider" with "a person trying to maximize total income while being productive to society in some way"(assuming poker is not being productive to society). I understand that being a good provider doesn't just mean bringing home the dough for his/her family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've decided I hate you.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:59 PM

Ease up on the little fella, Scott. When he was a kid, his parents probably nagged him when he would sit down for 5 minutes and took a break or watched 30 minutes of television.

I still think a plumber is a productive society. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in fact you can be sure that you "kill" a few people, i really doubt that anyone can really effort to loose. But they loose anyway , so why not against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean what I think it means?