FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Poker Academy Pro Texas Hold\'em

Has anyone used it?
Waste of time or good investment?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Poker Academy Pro Texas Hold\'em

You can download a demo and see if it is what you are looking for.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:15 PM

(love that picture from the movie)

Word has it that PAP doesn't have settings to consider/remove the rake- is that true? I would be surprised very much if this were so.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:34 PM

I have the demo, I couldn't find a rake option. TTH has the option. I have both demos for comparison. Of course they do not have full features.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:28 PM

PA doesn't have the rake in the current version but it does in the next release.

There is also a free upgrade to the next version if you buy this version. It also includes multitable tournaments, online play and more stats.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Waste of money I think. The only thing I use it for is to work on my tournament NL game which I do find it somewhat useful. Want to be a maniac ? It could help you possibly achieve that. It could basically teach you how to play a similar style to Layne Flack but there's only one Flack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't agree with that advice. Even the current version has many good training tools to help improve your game. Apart from numerous stats regarding position, opponent, hand-type (suited connectors, etc.), etc. You can play specific hands or types of hands to get a better feel for them. You can ask to be dealt only the top 25% of hands, just KJo, any hand with a jack, etc. And of course you can train this against a full table (with opps of your choice), just short-handed, etc. And it goes without saying that you can see the stats on these training sessions.

It's a good investment to any player who is willing to invest some time working properly with it. IMHO.

Albert
Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 AM

I've been using Wilson Turbo and Tournament for two years. I just tried the Poker Academy Pro demo last night. I'm buying it.

Poker Academy is better than Wilson and it's not even close. Others have already elaborated.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:39 PM

i own PAP and love it.
it is by far the best ai in any poker progam (not surprising at is comes directly from a university research team on ai). the better players will adapt to your play after about 1000 hands, which is great as you are forced to address leaks. the different NL bots are vastly superior to those in other software....many to choose from, adaptive and adjustable.

as previously stated, it is an excellent tool for working on your game (if you are willing to put in the time). you can set players abilities and tendencies, which is great. if i have a difficult night at the poker room i come back and set up a table to mimick the one i just playing. for example i had an old cowboy at a table who was a complete and utter maniac (i don't think he could see his cards) at a table and unfortunately for me that night he was a cardrack. anyway it was great to be able to practice playing against this type of player seated both behind and in front of me.

cheers,
the Real Macoy