Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Beginner stud hand adventure - 1/2 - comments please

Okay, so I've read through Ashley Adams' book and am trying to get a grasp on the basic concepts of stud.

For those who do not know me, I currently play 1/2 limits in LHE, Stud, and O8. I have a blog here

The 4th street bet is iffy for me, but everything else looked fine. I just want to make sure. Comments on all streets are appreciated, I'm learning, don't be afraid to yell something. Thanks in advance.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (5.13 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (8.13 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (11.13 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds

Total pot: (13.13 BB)
Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Hello,Clayton! RAISING on 3rd with an overcard to the board ...

will improve ur chances of winning. U need to try to reduce the field to protect ur pair. UR odds of winning increase if u have only one or two Oppos. and u connect with two medium PRS.
I believe u lost to Q's and 2's.
What hand did u put Seat3 on when he raised on 4th?
I put him on Q's and 2's.
SittingBull
Old 06-16-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Beginner stud hand adventure - 1/2 - comments please

I'd raise 3rd to try and reduce the field and I'd raise fifth to see where I'm at... especially with the five pairing his door card... maybe it will even allow you to take a free card on the next street if you choose to.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Hello,Clayton! RAISING on 3rd with an overcard to the board ...

[ QUOTE ]
will improve ur chances of winning. U need to try to reduce the field to protect ur pair. UR odds of winning increase if u have only one or two Oppos. and u connect with two medium PRS.
I believe u lost to Q's and 2's.
What hand did u put Seat3 on when he raised on 4th?
I put him on Q's and 2's.
SittingBull

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember seat 3 was the bring-in, and there's only 1 remaining 2 in the deck. I'd go with just Q's, possibly with an A or K kicker.

And to the original poster as has been stated, the one major thing you have to do differently is to raise 3rd.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM

On third, I might limp in after the ten folds, but this hand is so weak it is asking for trouble with multiple callers.

On fourth, are you seduced by getting another spade? Unfortunately a couple of higher cards to your pair hit. I check. Seat three has QQ or likes throwing away money. Since I don't have an overcard to his pair, I fold.

Yes, I am weak. But there is another hand coming up soon.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:03 AM

I think both raising and limping on 3rd are fine. (I’m guessing this game was loose – in a tighter game you should always raise on 3rd in this spot; if people will call regardless though, you might as well limp with vulnerable hands).
On 4th your hand is not that great but certainly worth playing. I would bet right out, since you may have the best hand.
On 5th, I’d raise. You should at least try to push the fives out. He could have trips, so it’s risky, but your hand is too good to fold. You might also get a free card on 6th, given your scary board.
The river is tricky – I think checking behind is the best play. 1/2 players are usually very passive, especially on the river, so one of them could easily be checking a hand that beats yours. It’s close though.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The river is tricky – I think checking behind is the best play. 1/2 players are usually very passive, especially on the river, so one of them could easily be checking a hand that beats yours. It’s close though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to post the same thing. If villian is worried about the flush, he's not going to bet the river here. He's going to check/call.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM

I played some $1/$2 yesterday (I was tired, drunk and bored). I saw a guy call in last position on the river with tens full, although it was almost impossible that the initial bettor had him beat. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 11:27 AM

I keep coming back to 1/2 because it's just so entertaining. Nothing like completing with split aces in early, pairing the ace on 4th and still getting 3 callers...2 of whom will always call down to 7th, then fold.

Oh and crap like this(Seat 4 called the bet on 7th):

Seat 4: [ Ts 8s 4s Qs 5c Jh Ad ] [ high card ace -- Ad,Qs,Jh,Ts,8s ]

Seat 5: [ Qh Ks Kh 9d 9h 2d 2c ] [ two pairs, kings and nines -- Ks,Kh,Qh,9d,9h ]

Seat 6: [ Tc 4d 4h 7s Th 3c Ac ] [ two pairs, tens and fours -- Ac,Tc,Th,4d,4h ]
Old 06-16-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and crap like this(Seat 4 called the bet on 7th):

Seat 4: [ Ts 8s 4s Qs 5c Jh Ad ] [ high card ace -- Ad,Qs,Jh,Ts,8s ]

Seat 5: [ Qh Ks Kh 9d 9h 2d 2c ] [ two pairs, kings and nines -- Ks,Kh,Qh,9d,9h ]

Seat 6: [ Tc 4d 4h 7s Th 3c Ac ] [ two pairs, tens and fours -- Ac,Tc,Th,4d,4h ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was hoping to finally make his flush on the rare and elusive 8th street.