Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Banned from Calculus Class - for being white

Leave it to an outsider (of the US) to state the obvious common sense here.

Basing things like this on income, or the quality of the student's high school would be a better way to help those who need it, and would still be more likely to help minorities porportionally to their social disadvantage. It would also alleviate a lot of the tension around these kind of debates and the us versus them mentality. That said, I have no problem with what they are doing in general... Using some type of program (not necessarily race based) to give children who have equal potential but have been burdened with poor surroundings in the past an opportunity to catch up by offering more attention is good for the country as it makes us more of a meritocracy.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious if anyone thinks this analogy would have been made if Sharpton were white. Assuming your accusations about Sharpton are right...how is this different than rich white legislators who push laws that favor themselves. Somehow, I doubt you would have thought of them as a crack dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like, say, rich senators voting for tax cuts favoring the rich?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 PM

Interesting that it was low-level math classes that were being slotted for minorities, I guess the diversity exists in the higher-level math classes...seriously, I got a Minority scholorship to attend a 'Historically Black' University...I was one of 4 white dudes at this university. It drove people ape$hit when they found out I was getting a free ride...what was even better was when I 'broke the curve' (got excluded from the grading bell-curve) in a few classes...I was good enough to be a 'token white', but too good to be calculated into the grading system....go figure...
Old 06-16-2005, 07:51 AM

Default A related question:

A related question:

If affirmative action for minorities is a Bad Thing, then what does that say about the affirmative action practiced by members of the fraternity system once they graduate and move on into the business community? Or how about "legacy" consideration by university admission committees (particularly when the parents of the applicant in question benefitted from discrimination against minority applicants)?

Seems to me that, if anything, "affirmative action" has quite a long and celebrated history in white upper-middle-class quarters. And I certainly don't hear any of the right-wing posters here clamoring for the elimination of those affirmative action networks and policies.

Food for thought, anyway.

q/q
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: A related question:

I have a dream that... they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I am not right-wing by any means, but I am equally against racism and nepotism.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: A related question:

[ QUOTE ]
then what does that say about the affirmative action practiced by members of the fraternity system once they graduate and move on into the business community?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly sure what this means, but the fraternity system as a whole is open to anybody regardless of race and many fraternities are more diverse then the overall campus population. This is of course overall, and doesn't include all organizations and their chapters - just as it doesn't include explicitly minority or homosexual greek letter organizations.

As far as legacy situations in college admissions go - the reason is that those families tend to have 'school pride' and will potentially donate large sums of money. I am not saying this is right (it isn't) but that is the difference between legacy admissions and affirmative action. For what its worth - it actually counts against you if your parents are highly educated or are financially successfuly in many college admissions processes which is also wrong.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the black race pimps like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jack-sun don't care about poor white kids. They just care about black people, rich or poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Limbaughisms are showing, Jake-sta.

[ QUOTE ]
They study a lot in school and put in lots of effort, instead of gangbanging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuff' said here.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM

When you are able to discuss a point maturely, I will respond to you.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:53 PM

Hardvard is all Asian and Jew if you eliminate extremely wealthy white kids.

Dumb asses sure benefit from affirmitive action. I've had to work and go to school with tons of kids that are unqualified, stupid, and obviously there because they were minority. I don't care what race you are, unqualified is unqualified.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hardvard is all Asian and Jew if you eliminate extremely wealthy white kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being sarcastic, or do you really think it is true?

Affirmative Action is one of the issues on which I agree with conservatives.

But there is a difference between choosing equally qualified candidates who add diversity to an institution and choosing lesser qualified candidates based on race. Harvard does the former, unfortunately the latter still exists in some places today.

-ptmusic