Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: American accents that really bug you

Dude.

There is always going to be a bias when going from something that is phonetically spelled, to the spoken word.

That bias is the result of your upbringing.

When you go from the phonetics to the word, you can't say 'this is wrong' because you think it's wrong.

Its only wrong, if its end result isnt another person knowing what phonetic it was supposed to be.

(also... you need to get your sarcasm detector fixed. When I said New Yorkers dont have accents, I was illustrating that I can arbitrarily choose any local)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude.

There is always going to be a bias when going from something that is phonetically spelled, to the spoken word.

That bias is the result of your upbringing.

When you go from the phonetics to the word, you can't say 'this is wrong' because you think it's wrong.

Its only wrong, if its end result isnt another person knowing what phonetic it was supposed to be.

(also... you need to get your sarcasm detector fixed. When I said New Yorkers dont have accents, I was illustrating that I can arbitrarily choose any local)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. You have totally rocked my world to its core and made me question everything I previously _thought_ I knew about the English language.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:24 PM

You're just saying that because you say "eh" and "aboot."

Canadians.

And yes I knew that you were being sarcastic DUHHH
Old 06-15-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG. You have totally rocked my world to its core and made me question everything I previously _thought_ I knew about the English language.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like I started this or anything.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from Oregon.... we have no accent whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]
you're high. I spent two years in Oregon and decided that there's a wormhole in the universe that connects Oregon with Georgia. I had friends with no ties to the deep south who spoke with a southern twang. they were from medford, sweethome and crescent city, so it wasn't a regional thing,either.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm from Oregon and don't recall hearing anything resembling a Georgia southern twang except for this girl I was an undergrad with but she wants to move to the South and imo uses the accent conciously or subconciously as discussed in the thread about talking in a different way when around different people.

My roommate (also from Oregon) and I were discussing the accent thing and I think there is actually an accent but it's pretty slight. For example we tend to say 'uh' instead of a.

edited to add: if we meet up next month you can judge for yourself whether I have said southern twang.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't stand the California surfer-dude accent. I hate people who say 'brah'.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually comes from Hawaii

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, nobody in california says "brah" unless they want everyone to think they are retarded.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he gets on the phone with his brother back home, and OMG!
I thought he was putting me on!
When he finished, I mentioned it. He had no idea what I was talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife says i do this with my hawaiian accent

[/ QUOTE ]

Just happened to me a couple hours ago with said hawaiian accent. Having a normal conversation with my fiance and we went to order our wedding rings which are going to be hawaiian heirloom kine. I call up the place (RHHJ in case you're familiar) and order them. We're picking them up later but they still needed a contact address so I hand the phone to my fiance for her to give her parents' address. As if by flipping a switch on comes the accent. Her accent isn't as thick as others' since her parents didn't want her to sound uneducated (for example she never says da instead of the), but it definately gets going when she's talking to anybody from home.

note: use of kine purely intentional and for comedic purposes only.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it definately gets going when she's talking to anybody from home.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The " yall" is the worst IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Texas, and I say y'all. But one thing that does really bug me is when people use y'all to mean you, and in the singular. Just say you! Also, y'all is, at least a legitimate contraction, unlike yous. That one bugs the [censored] outta me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was explained to me once.

"Y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is the plural. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Once a woman called me to order something from our website (this was back when most people were afraid to order online). She had a thick southern accent. I have to see if I should charge tax, so I ask if she's from NY. She immediately starts laughing like a donkey, and yelling to her husband "this guy just asked if ah was from Nyew Yawk". [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm not fond of the accents from rural Maine.

Sometimes southern girls deliberatley exagerate their accents thinking that it is attractive and seductive.

I LOVE Cajun accents. Not many people left around who really talk like that anymore.