Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Rainbow version of SomethingClever hand - A9o

Party 5/10 6-max (5 handed)

Hero raises A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG (5-handed). Button cold calls; over a very small sample Button is loose/passive preflop and hasn't called attention to himself postflop. Hyper-loose and quite aggressive BB calls. Three players and 6 SB to the flop.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, BB folds, and Hero calls. Two players and 6.5 BB to the turn.

Turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero checkraises Button, ...
Old 06-15-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Rainbow version of SomethingClever hand - A9o

Button 3-bets two aggressors on the flop.. hrmph. I don't like it. Are you trying to get him to fold a better hand by C/R the turn? If he seems like the makings of a loose passive he will be seeing a showdown here. I think I just check/call turn and river.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:26 PM

So you're thinking most of the time he has a worse 9 or a pair like 77 or 66?

I dunno... doesn't it usually take more than TP9 for an average postflop player to 3-bet the flop into a preflop aggressor?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:34 PM

I don't like it. A passive player who 3-bets the flop will most likely have your top pair beaten. Your check/raise seems like chip spewing since you will never get him to fold a better hand.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM

I'm on the fence. I thought I liked it at first, but I think I'm supporting the call down a little bit more now. The checkraise is great if you don't get reraised, but if you do, it sucks since you are either drawing super live (overpair) or completely dead (set).

Without a good postflop read, I think calling down is best.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Results

Button called down my turn checkraise and showed AA. MHING.

Certainly when the overcard ten turned I might have thought better of checkraising. Between that and his river outs I will be "right" and lose anyway much too often.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM

On a 932r, I'm not sure you get three-bet by a worse hand often enough for this to be worthwhile. One of the more likely hands to coldcall preflop and like this flop is 9Ts and it just got there.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a 932r, I'm not sure you get three-bet by a worse hand often enough for this to be worthwhile. One of the more likely hands to coldcall preflop and like this flop is 9Ts and it just got there.

[/ QUOTE ]
A useful trick is to check the suits. All the visible tens and nines are different. Only exactly T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is possible which means T9s isn't very likely.

This idea is more important in problems where the hand is more tightly defined. Here there are a great many hands that beat me so I don't need to think about individual hands too carefully.