Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Neteller Accnt Hacked (continued) and Neteller Won\'t Refund

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still have a funny feeling about this whole storey . . . but regardless, I thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. Because of your posts, this afternoon I had the EFT and Instacash options turned off on my Neteller account for security purposes. Before this thread, I wasn't aware that you could do that. In talking with Neteller, apparently these options can be turned on or off as requested so all you would need to do to make a withdrawl is make a phone call to have it temporarily turned back on.

busguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a funny feeling, quite honestly I can't bring myself to believe the story. The whole secret identity thing and the vague answers just don't do it for me.

But I think this thread illustrates an important point for all of us who participate in internet poker - that is that the security of our financial data is our own responsibility. Not the bank's, not Neteller's - our own. If your story is, in fact, true then the only way this occurred was to have your computer compromised, either physically by someone with access to it. or externally by someone placing a keylogger or trojan on the system. They got your account number, your secure ID and your password. Neteller wasn't hacked, you were. That's the only way this transfer from Neteller to xodds was made.

So I think we need to see this as a cautionary tale - secure your computer and the important financial data on it. It's your own responsibility. And that is as it should be.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 PM

I am glad you recovered the money. I have a few questions:

1) Neteller most likely logs the IP address from where a user logs in ( as they will block your account if you live in Australia and try to login from China). Did you ask them from what state/city or country those transactions took place?

2- If it was from your IP address then you know is someone that has access to your PC and data. If it is from a town near by owhere some people that you know live , it could mean the same thing.

3- What was the exaplnation from the UK company as far of whose account received the money? Was it an error in their part? Was this a valid account on their site?

JAque
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot, Stormwolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahaha.

Instacash.

-AA
Old 06-15-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still have a funny feeling about this whole storey . . . but regardless, I thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. Because of your posts, this afternoon I had the EFT and Instacash options turned off on my Neteller account for security purposes. Before this thread, I wasn't aware that you could do that. In talking with Neteller, apparently these options can be turned on or off as requested so all you would need to do to make a withdrawl is make a phone call to have it temporarily turned back on.
busguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that until I explicitly asked Brittany about it. I'm glad you did something because that's why I am still posting here. And it's perfectly fine if you still don't believe my story as long as you have gotten some useful information out of this thread.

But if you don't take any precaution because you think my story is "fishy" therefore Neteller must be safe or they will refund you if you get hacked, then I would feel really bad.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am glad you recovered the money. I have a few questions:

1) Neteller most likely logs the IP address from where a user logs in ( as they will block your account if you live in Australia and try to login from China). Did you ask them from what state/city or country those transactions took place?

2- If it was from your IP address then you know is someone that has access to your PC and data. If it is from a town near by owhere some people that you know live , it could mean the same thing.

3- What was the exaplnation from the UK company as far of whose account received the money? Was it an error in their part? Was this a valid account on their site?

JAque

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Neteller does have the IP log and I plan to get that info as soon as I fax them the police report. I should get the report in the mail sometime this week. I will post a pic of the police report, with numbers and other personal info blanked out.

3) I received a phone call from xodds(betonmarket) this morning. I'm assuming his full name is Jean-Yves Sireau coz that's the name in the confirmation email following the phone call.

He told me there were a spate of 12 similar cases (unauthorized transfer from Neteller to xodds) reported to them last week. Usually they get a report once every three months. I am the only victim they are able to talk to because I've contacted them myself and given them my phone number and Neteller refused to give any phone number to them (I don't blame Neteller on this one).

I was shocked when I heard there were 12 cases last week alone because that's not what Brittany told me. She told me there was one other case. The victim was also computer savvy as he owns a few websites.

He said the account looks legit. They even have a copy of the guy's passport but of course it could be fake. They have tried to contact that guy but he said the guy would hang up the phone without saying a word so it's definitely sketchy.

I asked him how come the hacker didn't withdraw the money from xodds and he said he's wondering about the same thing. The same strange thing also happened to several other accounts. The hacker just seemed not in a rush to get the money. So bizarre.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:15 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Story 1:

About a week ago all europeans had to upgrade their account. After doing that every time you use neteller, you get an e-mail telling you your transfer has been denied, even if in reality it hasn't.
When it was clear to me that this happened automatically after each transfer, I send an e-mail to Neteller and they answered back that they were aware of the bug, that their IT department was fixing it (with no success so far) and that I should disregard the e-mails.
However, the first time I got one of those, I grabbed my phone and called their security dept. I talked to a very agressive lady and explained that besides the e-mail, nothing unusual was going on in my account, no transaction was reported denied and no money was missing but I was of course worried if somebody had tried to move something from my account(the account was empty at that time, so it looked as if a hacker had made an attempt but couldn't succeed as there was nothing to transfer anyway).
The lady just wouldn't listen, she started inmediately telling me that I was responsible of keeping my account information safe and that Neteller was not responsible for any loss, etc... extremely agressive reaction while I was telling her that nothing was missing. After that she suddenly told me we could not continue this conversation unless they called me to the phone number registered in my account.
A few minutes later she called and I asked to talk to somebody in a higher position as it seemed I was talking to a wall and just got lectured on how much it was my responsability to keep my pasword safe and so on. After a few minutes I could talk to a gentlemen that after listening to me told me that the e-mail was probably a mistake from Neteller and if nothing was missing from my account, I should just disregard it.
Later it became obvious it was just a bug on the upgrade.

Story 2:

About a year ago, I was withdrawing 1000$ from my debit card. From the ATM machine I got no money and a receipt telling me the transaction had been refused by the card issuer. I tried 2 other ATM machines from different banks and got the same answer. I went back home and checked my debit card balance and it showed 0$. My Neteller account balance was ok, it showed the withdrawal to the debit card.
I called Neteller, they called back, had to explain everything several times, they said they could see that I had just been paid 1000$ (wich I hadn't) and sent me an e-mail with the last few transactions. I was supposed to find out wich one I was claiming to be wrong and return the e-mail to them wich I did. They said they would investigate the matter and closed my account [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I was of course worried because I had money in the account and it is all I use to transfer money between the different poker sites.
I had to call back and asked them why it was necessary to close my account when I was the victim in the story and after a few hours they called back, told me they had agreed to reopen my account while they were investigating the matter and if it showed that I was telling the truth, it would take aprox. 6 weeks to get my money back from the bank that had not paid me (a bank around the corner, so I thought maybe I could just go and complain, but I decided to just let Neteller handle the matter).
I did send Neteller a last mail telling them that I was expecting they would refund all fees involved in this matter (they charge a penalty if the ATM tells you your transaction is refused and it was very strange that the balance showed 0$ as there is always something left because of the currency exchange)
I got an e-mail back telling me I wouldn't have to pay anything and 5 weeks later 946$ appeared in my debit card.

Neteller never e-mailed me telling me that the money was refunded, I only got 946$ back (from the 1000 AND whatever few dollars where in the debit card at that moment) and I had to pay a fee to find out that the money had been credited back.

After some thought I decided to not complain anymore as the Neteller account is very important to me and I didn't wanted to risk losing that account.

Besides this 2 incidents I have never had any problems with them in the 3 years I have used them, but it is a fact that when an incident occurs, they are not the most helpfull in the world.

Take care,
William
Old 06-15-2005, 12:19 PM

I'm glad things worked out for you in the end.

What amazes me is some of the hostile responses you've received. What you described does not seem at all implausible. Do these other guys think that their funds are totally secure whereever they have it? Or do they want so much to believe that they're safe that they refuse to believe anyone who claims to have problems.

I'd like to know how you were hacked. But I know that it could happen to me tomorrow. I try to take precautions but there is no guarantee.

And as for your wanting to remain anonymous and not post details on the net, hell, any prudent person would do the same.

Please keep us up to date on future developments.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The transaction description says RM Costa Rica". A few posters then suggested that my money had been transferred to a poker site since quite a few poker sites are based out of Costa Rica.

Neteller won't release any info to me until they get the police report next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you called your credit card company and said, "I see a charge from RM Costa Rica on my account and I think it might be fraud. Can you tell me who that merchant is so I can make sure it wasn't something I bought?" Do you really think they would, or even COULD, say, "I'm sorry, we can't tell you until you give us a police report." Or your bank if it were your bank account.

Wait, forget about saying you think it is fraud..."Hello Visa, I see a charge to RM Costa Rica and I forgot what merchant that was, can you tell me?" It is YOUR account -- how could they possibly not tell you where you sent money from your account. I don't care what kind of account it is.

This story is complete BS.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:41 PM

I especially like how he's being bashed for not keeping his information "safe," and getting bashed for not posting it on the internet, simultaneously.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 12:44 PM

Alias.

Neteller is not a bank, or a credit card, nor is it regulated by any US authority.

That's the whole point of this story, dumbass.