Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Winning strategy at the $25nl tables?

Hello,
I am trying to play a pretty tight ABC game, similair to that detailed on http://www.winningnolimitholdem.com/...strategy_guide
I only call a raise with AK/AA/KK, unless its a min raise then I will also call with pocket pairs and maybe Ax suited, and open raise with AA/KK/AK/AQ/QQ/JJ depending on position.
I also call with all pocket pairs and suited connectors down to about 9/10.
If I hit something on the flop I bet out 2/3 to full pot, otherwise I fold. Although if the flop is checked to me I will chuck in a sizeable(2/3-pot) bet to buy the pot if I previously raised.

My question is this:
By only raising very few hands, whenever I do raise the table normally folds and I just pick up the blinds.
Plus I don't seem to be playing many hands at all. I guess I just need to be patient to wait for the cards to come??

My $VPIP is around 15-20% is that too low for 6max tables? Should I loosen up a bit and play other hands such as K10/QJ etc???
Old 06-15-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Winning strategy at the $25nl tables?

You're playing the 6maxes that tight? Wow. How many bb/100 do you make? I play fairly tight as well, but I would raise a lot more hands in position.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:27 AM

This is my problem, I am currently only on 5bb/100 after 2000 hands. I don't think I am playing enough hands.
What kind of hands would you play in late position?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-15-2005, 07:26 AM

I like a to make a continuation bet on the flop whether I hit or miss. If however I get called or raised then I tend to fold or check it down. Is this too weak, as sometimes I see people call pot sized bets with over cards?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:33 AM

I am around 40% VPIP on 6-max tables and am running at around 10PT BB/100. Preflop play is definately not that much of an issue here compared to postflop (except playing in position).
Old 06-15-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my problem, I am currently only on 5bb/100 after 2000 hands. I don't think I am playing enough hands.
What kind of hands would you play in late position?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not enough hands. But, as another poster states, you can achieve a win rate of 20bb / 100 at the $25 6-max. Basically, you need to get Poker Tracker and find the tables with the maniacs. I like having a table with only 1 other rock at most, several calling stations and a maniac or two. Then you just wait for a premium hand and push your edge (or try and catch a set, flush, straight, etc.)
Old 06-15-2005, 11:36 AM

I've recently started playing 6 max NL....previously I played 5/10 6 max limit. I haven't played any limit ring. Take my advice with a grain of salt because i'm only a few thousand hands in, but i'm at 15 bb/100 right now. I play the 6 max 100 NL tables. I play cautiously if there is a raise in front of me, but if there is no raise in front of me, i'm raising a lot of marginal hands like A 10, A J, smaller suited aces, KQ, KJ, J10, medium pocket pairs, throw in a very occasional raise with suited connecrors, stuff like that, and position is VERY important when i'm raising these hands. I've basically brought over my 5/10 6 max game and I am applying it to NL. I use the 5%/10% rule when calling raises with small pocket pairs...I generally disregard this rule with suited connectors and fold them to big raises...won't call unless its a min raise.

Now if I get action on my marginal hands, I play them very carefully if I get called on a flop bet, I don't get married to top pair marginal kicker, things like that.

A lot of people that I play against have stats like 40/5 or even worse at like 70/2. I am more in the 28/18 range. I tend to win a lot of $10 pots and things like that...which slowly builds my roll up, and because of my raising of some of the marginal hands, they don't realize i'm not raising them UTG and I fire in an UTG raise with AA and the clowns will give you action, or reraise you with a weak ace, things like that. Hope this helps. Feel free to critique the advice.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:45 AM

That's pretty much my strategy as well. Suited connectors are almost worthless in 6-max, so only play them if you can see the flop cheap in late position, or if you are mixing it up by raising in position.

Now, I also like to win small pots, but at the $25s, I am ussually more willing to get involved in big pots when I am ahead (even if marginally) in order to build a stack. Keeping the table covered is very important b/c some of the maniacs will have several buy ins in front of them, and doubling up with a big stack is twice as sweet.