Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Life after Professional Poker

Just my thoughts. Its a long post so I have only read some, and apologise if it has been written before.

First of all do what you feel is the right thing for you. NOW. If that is playing poker for the next year, then fine. Enjoy it and dont worry about what might happen in a years time. Ofcourse this assumes that you really want it, and are not just addicted or looking for an easy buck [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Well, basicly that you have fun taking it seriously, I guess.

Secondly it is all about presentation. When you after a year goes back to your PHD or a job in the private sector, I believe it can be an advantage to have played poker. Think about how much you will have learned! Its not all just about cards. You might be better at picking up signs of how people are, you might be more decisive or goal directed, you might have some good materiale to use for the PHD etc.

On a personal note I will tell you a little about my life. I recently quit a very well payed job in finance to write a book. I know I wont earn much doing so, but also that it somehow will get me in the direction that is best for me. Along the way I am learning poker from scratch. I played my first game ever about 2 months ago. My goal is to slowly build a bankroll and see how far I can get, and to me that is a fun challenge.

And I KNOW that it can be an advantage to play poker when aplying for a job - atleast in the private sector. I play a lot of backgammon, and although I never went pro I won some big tournaments, and went to the world championship. I wrote this on my CV, and it seemed so out of the ordinary and exciting that I believe many employers called me to interviews partly due to that fact.

I hope this helps you in your decision [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]