Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Top 5 Worst Golf Tips Of All Time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering about all the people who said they coulden't read this because it was too long.

I dislike golf, I never play it, I watch it on TV 2 days a year (Sunday Masters and Sunday USOpen) and I still found this post interesting enough to read through the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

why in the hell did you open up this thread in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a curious mind. I like to learn new things.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:02 PM

I think you are right for everything except number 5.

Assuming a golfer has good distance control with his wedges, you are right that it is better to be closer to the hole.

If he doesn't have good distance control, I think it is better to take full swing. On average you will end up further to the left or right of the hole with a full swing, but you might still end up closer because you can hit the ball the correct distance.

Also, for the average golfer the issue is not how close he gets to the hole. If taking a full swing makes it more likely that you will hit the green, you will score better.

Then again, I suck at golf, so what do I know.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. "One way to read putts is to hang your putter vertically in front of your dominant eye while standing behind the ball, in line with the hole and your ball. If the shaft is not in line with the hole, then putt breaks to the side the hole is on." This is called "plum-bobbing".

If you actually think this works, you're a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read Pelz's book, but in the debunking, I presume he addresses the key to plumb-bobbing, which is standing perpendicular to the green. If you do stand perpendicular to the green (and perhaps that's the rub) then plumb-bobbing does in fact work, to the extent that it shows you which way a green is sloped, albeit not how much the putt will break -- it's not accurate enough for that.

In summary, I guess I'm a retard because I don't see how Pelz can debunk gravity.

Response please Eric.

Sparks
Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are wrong on #5 to a point. The average golfer has a better shot at getting a 100 yard wedge close to the hole than a 70 yard half wedge because they will invariably screw up their weight shift on the half shot. Now, if you can lay up to 20 yards, sure, but there is a point somewhere between 20 and 100 yards where you are better off just having a full shot in. I have a wedge that I can hit exactly 80 yards without shifting my weight at all during the swing and it goes exactly 80 yards and I guarantee you that I have a better shot of being inside 10 feet from the hole from 80 than I do from 60. This advice might not be relevant if you suck at golf however, I shoot in the 70's. I guess if you can't hit irons for [censored] then maybe you should try to get as close as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I said it's very difficult for a player to realize. But it's true.

Like I told the other poster, get a few players of any skill level, and have them hit 50 shots each from a full wedge distance and at least 10 yards closer. Then measure the average distances.

And, yes, I have done this before.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're missing the main point of this - most golfers are much more likely to hit the fairway and have a good shot in with a 6 iron than with a 3 wood. imo, that's the main reason why laying up to a full shot is a good idea; the shot in to the green isn't that much harder, but the layup is much easier.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ROMEO
What you think you look like
hitting those squirrelly chili
peppers up Freddy Couples' ass,
eh? Do what I say or I quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about the rest of the quote, but the above should definitely be Lee Janzen's ass.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should also read and understand Pelz's research about green reading, and know the difference between the aimline and the apex of the path of the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very possible that my attitude costs me strokes, but when I begin thinking along techical lines such as those it interfers with the flow of my game and I know that costs me strokes.

Ken Venturi says that when you are attempting a makeable birdie chip, leave the pin in if you are ok with making par, but pull it if you want to make birdie.

Dave Pelz says that research shows the ball is more likely to fall if the pin is in.

Venturi shot more lower scores and won a few more tournaments. I might be wrong, but I think I'll side with him.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:31 AM

The other one that I think nails beginners is "keep your back elbow straight". They shouldn't be bending their back elbow like a baseball swing and it should be bent only a little, but hitting the ball with straight joints is a crazy notion that gets thrown out there a lot.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Venturi shot more lower scores and won a few more tournaments. I might be wrong, but I think I'll side with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you also read Tom McEvoy poker books instead of Sklansky for the same reason?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read Pelz's book, but in the debunking, I presume he addresses the key to plumb-bobbing, which is standing perpendicular to the green. If you do stand perpendicular to the green (and perhaps that's the rub) then plumb-bobbing does in fact work, to the extent that it shows you which way a green is sloped, albeit not how much the putt will break -- it's not accurate enough for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand what you mean. The conventional way to plumb-bob is to stand behind the ball in line with the hole. And that's what Pelz addresses in his book.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 AM

I think #1 is good advice if it can open the door for people to start thinking about course management, which is a good idea for anyone.

The easiest way for bad golfers to shave a bunch of strokes off their game is to convince them to hit shots that they have a high degree of success with, even if they *should* hit another club because of the distance, or whatever. (Keep the driver in the bag, hit two 4-irons, and I promise you won't get an 8 on this hole, even though it basically kills your chances of a 3 or a 4)

I don't get to play enough to have a good feel for my short game, so I'd follow this advice because I know it works for me. I'm often more comfortable hitting a 125 yard wedge shot than an 80 yard pitch, I *know* what a full wedge shot feels like, but it takes time and practice to feel my short game confidently. Knowing this, I'll take that into account when I make the previous shot.

Clearly, that's not advice for everyone, and I'm not going to dispute / debate the merits of 100 people hitting a shot 50 yards vs. 100 yards, but if it gets people thinking about course management, then it's a good thing. That IS advice for everyone.

People are too literal in taking / criticizing advice.

Rob