Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 AM

Default obvious overbet or just outplayed?

So I'm Playing in a home game with some guys I have never played with before. About 3 hours in I have been playing well and have doubled my 10$ buy-in...I was up to about 50 but lost a big one when i got out drawn.

Villain is good player-- tight, aggressive, hasn't been able to play much though as he has been screwed for cards. He has about 30$ to my 20. Blinds are .25/.50

I am UTG with Q5 clubs.
UTG calls (not much action pre-flop usually), MP1 calls, MP2 calls, button calls, SB completes, BB Checks.

Flop: 3h 8s Qc
SB bets .50 (standard steal bet from him...), BB folds, I raise 1.00 on top, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, button folds, SB calls.

Turn: Jd
SB checks, I bet 4.00, after thinking for a while SB raises 4.00

what would you do?

I called. Thought my top pair was still best, plus he thought about it for a while, and I thought he was trying to just out bet me, from past history together

River: 4d
SB checks, I go all in (about 18.00 more.) SB calls.

WHAT HAPPENED?
answer below in white

<font color="white"> </font> my queens lost to 2 pair, jacks and threes. dissapointing end to a night where i played well and should have come out ahead.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: obvious overbet or just outplayed?

&lt;&gt;&lt;
Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 AM

what?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 AM

You forgot to fold preflop because your hand sucks.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 AM

first of all: i already said that i limped because i was fairly sure no one would raise, because the way the game had been playing.

Second of all: i would like some useful feedback not any of your bullshit.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You forgot to fold preflop because your hand sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

slayerrdn
Old 06-15-2005, 01:58 AM

Yes, he got lucky on the turn, but that's poker. Remember that he only paid 50c to see the next card, and got a $26 dollar return on it.

When someone raises the turn like that they've either got you outkicked or hopelessly beat, so fold. My first thought was QJ here.

And fold preflop. Doesn't matter how bad the game is, Q5s is a fish hand, it'll lose you more money than 72o whether villain gets lucky or not.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:07 AM

Dude, no offense, but you played this hand horribly on every street.

Fold preflop. What the hell are you going to do with Q5 of clubs in first position? This logic that you could see a cheap flop is nonsense. First of all, it's very difficult to draw to a flush out of position and have it be +EV if your opponents know what they're doing (which your friends probably don't, but whatever.) And if you hit a queen, you have a five for a kicker. Joy.

On the flop: He's making a steal bet, so you raise? That makes no sense. Just call. This is not a hand that you're going to double up with or that you should be looking to play a big pot with. If you're in front, you want him to keep betting at it. And if you're behind, you'll lose less by calling than by raising. Plus, you've still got the whole field behind you. Is he really bluffing into five people here by the way?

On the turn: I would check behind here and call a river bet. Definitely fold to the minimum checkraise. That usually means a big hand.

The river is absolutely horrible. What the hell are you doing here? Are you value betting or are you bluffing? Do you really think a hand that calls your all in is going to be beaten by top pair with a five kicker? Obviously not, so you're essentially bluffing, but why bluff when you've got a little something to show down? Just check it.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:13 AM

You say you have Q5clubs then say the flop has the Qc?
Blinds are .25/.5 and you bought in for 10?

Good lord
Old 06-15-2005, 02:31 AM

Ok, let me try again. You are playing an incredibly poor starting hand which flops well only slightly more often than 27[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and telling me its ok because you're playing shallow stacked and out of position against a good, tight, agressive opponent who won't even let you draw for cheap. You are wrong.