Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Default How did i play this hand?

This was omaha hi. I start with QQxx and call, 3 more players calls too. The flop is Q94 rainbow. I check since i still got three players to the left that i hope i can reraise. Everybody checks. Turn 4, i bet, fold fold call.
River 4. I bet, he reraises, i rr, he capps. No need to guess what he had.. 4444.. did i do anything wrong?
Old 05-26-2003, 04:58 AM

Default Re: How did i play this hand?

"This was omaha hi. I start with QQxx and call, 3 more players calls too. The flop is Q94 rainbow. I check since i still got three players to the left that i hope i can reraise. Everybody checks. Turn 4, i bet, fold fold call.
River 4. I bet, he reraises, i rr, he capps. No need to guess what he had.. 4444.. did i do anything wrong?
"

I don't know if you did anything wrong.

First betting round, no suggestions.

I would generally have bet on the second betting round, rather than looking for a check-raise bet.

Third betting round, no suggestions.

Then, with trips on the board, I would have bet on the fourth betting round, but just called the raise. There seems a distinct chance of being up against quads here.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 05-26-2003, 12:11 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with limit Omaha hi, but in the experience I do have, QQxx is not a very good hand. You generally want your hand to be coordinated so that you'll have redraws. QQ on a Q94 flop is not that great because there are a bunch of straight draws working. Any K, J, T, or 8 completes a possible straight, and any other card puts another straight draw on the board. If you have a coordinated hand, you will often have some sort of redraw when you flop your set. Even something as lame as QQ(J8s) on a (Q9)4s flop gives you a non-nut gutshot and a jack-high backdoor flush draw, neither of which is a particularly good but still adds something to your hand.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:20 PM

my two cents: (most of us don't have the oppurtunity to play in many GOOD Omaha Hi games) I feel:

You saved one small bet -- moot.

Also, maybe an opponent had a straight draw to the Q 9, if so, you gave them a free card -- again essentially a moot point.

You did OK. It would have been OK to bet flop to get a liitle more money in pot right off....

Old 05-28-2003, 10:05 AM

I would have bet the flop. Jack-Ten is a playable holding and I would never give them a free card in limit Omaha.