Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Default 33 Out of Position

Live 1/2 NL 7 handed

This is a real live game with lots of passive players.

Hero is UTG with the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. No need to go through the preflop betting; everyone sees the flop for $2.

Flop: 7 handed, ($14) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB Checks, BB Checks, Hero fires $15; Fold, Call, Call, Button Folds, Blinds Fold.

Turn: 3 players ($59) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villian #1 bets $40, Villian calls, Hero raises to $100, Villian #1 folds, Villian #2 calls!

I checked this because I was certain I would get an oppurtunity to raise. I wanted to get the river heads up which might not have been possible if I lead out. Also, I was a little concerned about the board pairing 7s with an ace out there and I could try and deduct some possibilities based on how they acted. At this point I am somewhat concerned about Villian #2 holding A7, although he might have raised Villian #1 in that spot. Villian #2 isn't overly tricky, but he is capable of getting cute.

River: ($299) 2 players K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check, Villian #2 All-in for $275, which covers Hero...now A7 and K7 are real possibilities, hero calls.

Please any thoughts on this hand.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 33 Out of Position

Your play is fine if he would do this with hands other than A7. And, IMO, if he would be limping K7 then he's probably the type of player who will be betting hard here with any 7.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Can he do this with a busted flush draw after you check?

Will he not raise preflop with AK?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:17 PM

Hmm.. after the river, any A other than K or 7 is a chop - if he's smart enough to realize that and willing to try to blow another A out, it's an instacall.

AA, KK, A7, K7, and 73 are the only hands that beat you, and a LOT of hands that are reasonable holdings are worse than yours - any A, any K (less likely), a naked 7, and a couple of busted draws. After the river check, I call.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I would bet again on the turn to get paid by a flush draw or hopefully get raised by someone who just get trip 7. I also think that an Ace with a medium kicker would probably check back the turn but sometimes call a bet.

The main thing is that a possible flush on the river could kill the action you can have by a big Ace or trip seven trying to protect the pot from a flush draw. You will also lose the bet you could have gain from a flush draw on the turn.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:14 PM

I think you played the hand fine. Though, I think your river action was a bit inconsistent.
What was your logic on the river? If you felt that you had the best hand, you should have bet out. However, if you felt that you were beat, why call the all in?
How much did you have in front of you? Were you already pot-committed?