Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Blind stealing with a limper

I went back to 3/6 full for a hot second yesterday after a lot of SH play, and this is a situation that I find myself in a lot lately and I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

After reading Evan's post about stealing, I have been using the following range to steal with:

[ QUOTE ]
any ace, K5s/K7+, Q5s/Q7+, J6s/J7+, T7s/T8+, 97s/98, 76s+, any pair

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem I've been having is how much to adjust this stealing range when facing one limper, like in the preflop scenario below.

Assume the limper is a loose-passive typical player with average went to showdown and aggression numbers, since that's what he was. Also, there is nothing particularly outstanding about the players left to act after me.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

My ASB is at 42%, so for those of you working on stealing more, this may be a situation you are overlooking, or I am overplaying. How does the limper affect the profitabilty of these stealing hands?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Blind stealing with a limper

I think you need to be against a fit or fold type player for this to be profitable. Regular loose passives call down with any peice of the board - I'd like someone who is going to fold bottom pair on the flop, or not draw to one overcard.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to be against a fit or fold type player for this to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

took the words out of my mouth. against someone who is very loose, but chases more, tighten up somewhat and raise to isolate/for value.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 PM

I would think it would reduce the value of stealing with that hand, since part of your value is the fold equity - getting everyone to fold out and winning the hand preflop, and there is no way the limper is going to fold unless he is incredibly weak.

And if the limper will limp with AT or below or any pocket pair, you're certainly not best pre-flop. I may still be too tight in stealing situations though.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Is it really blind stealing against a limper? I'd qualify this as isolation - not stealing.

If MP plays bad post-flop (he obviously plays bad PF open-limping in MP) then I often find myself iso-raising with Ax (assuming the blinds will allow this).
Old 06-14-2005, 04:03 PM

I do a lot of similar stuff. usually I don't do it with lower than A8 though. This is more like isolation than stealing by the way.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do a lot of similar stuff. usually I don't do it with lower than A8 though. This is more like isolation than stealing by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, this is isolation. I guess my question is does the blind-stealing range work in isolation mode.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:09 PM

against the right opponents I think it certainly does.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:13 PM

There is a great dynamic that can take place when there is an ep limper and you, in co or button, raises. Without the limper, the blinds may tend to read you as on a steal and may tend to call w/Ax, K8, etc. But, with the presence of the limper, the blinds credit you with a better hand and muck all kinds of better hands.

If the blinds fold, you more often than not are checked to and a bet takes it down.

After 10-15 orbits, though, thinking blinds ought to realize what's going on but by that time you be far ahead. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, this is isolation. I guess my question is does the blind-stealing range work in isolation mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

The range, imho, ought be self-adjusted based upon the tenaciousness (or hopefully, lack of same) of the blinds and the timerity of the limper. Now... we're playin poker.