Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Low/medium pocket pairs vs Preflop raises

I like to play all pocket pairs but feel that JJ and lower are about useless unless I hit a set on the flop, which happens perhaps 12% of the time.

Out of that 12% some are made losers by straights, flushes, and higher sets.

So the dilemma (for me) is: How big a preflop raise (expressed in Big Blinds to avoid confusion) should I call with a pocket pair JJ or lower, to maximize profit?

Should I call a larger preflop raise with, say 77 and higher, than I would with 66 and lower (or some other system)?

I expect that every new NL player has grappled with this issue; and I'd sure like to know how you've resolved it! One obvious tip would be to play on tables with the lowest preflop raise percentages; but on Crypto there are only about 3 NL100 tables available, and I think I have to play at that level to clesr the bonuses (maybe I'm wrong on this?????)

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Low/medium pocket pairs vs Preflop raises

The it's the 5/10 rule. If the raise is less than 5% of the the smallest stack between you and your opponent, you can call. If it's in the 5-10% range, you can consider calling, and if it's over 10% you shouldn't call. In simple terms, if the raise is less than 20x the smallest stack, call.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:05 AM

I will typically call if both my stack and the raiser's stack (or anyone else who calls the raise) are around 15x the amount of the raise - or better

If there are multiple callers I might call a slightly larger raise since you have better odds if you hit your set.

I rarely view TT different from 55 when calling a raise - for the most part, no set no bet
Old 06-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the prompt responses--and everyone agrees that this 5/10 rule gives optimal results?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the prompt responses--and everyone agrees that this 5/10 rule gives optimal results?

[/ QUOTE ]

think about it. you'll flop a set about 12% of the time. if you call a raise for $10, how much do you need to make post-flop in order to make your call +EV? more than ~$83. if you don't have more than $83, or the raiser doesn't have more than $83, then there's no way for you to make this call with a positive expectation (unless you think that your pair will win unimproved). if they have a ton of money, but you only have $90, then you could only make this a very slight +EV if you can hit the set and manage to get your whole stack in.

even if you and the opponent both have $200, if he plays well post-flop and you play poorly post-flop, then you still may not make your $83 to hit the break-even point.

this is why it's important to be very aggressive, especially on the flop, with all your hands: pairs, big draws, and sets. if you're always aggressive, then you'll get action on sets and it'll be easier for you to realize what were previously only implied odds.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:19 AM

what about taking the lead in the hand with your pp? I found that when I did take the lead in the hand I got the best result with it. Of course you have to know your players, so don't try it against the really tight players cause you are probably already beat.
later