Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Newsflash: Old man takes foot out of grave, and plants it firmly...

up my butt. Anyway, This hand happened earlier at a 10 handed 5/10 game. The villain in this hand is an old man whose somewhere between loose/weak and tight/weak. He doesn't seem to respect my play too much, as he frequently cold-calls my raises with hands like KJo and A8s, as far as I can tell he doesn't extend this courtesy to other players, but I have no clue why he picks me as the chief recipient of his charity. Anyway, I pick up KQo (suits unimportant). UTG and limp. He overlimps MP1, another late position limper and both blinds come along.

Flop: (5SBs) K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
checks to me, I bet, old man calls, everyone else folds.

Turn: (3.5 BBs) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
I bet, he calls

River: (5.5 BBs) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, he raises, I....

First of all, preflop KQo in early position is about a 66% limp 34% raise, is this right? More importantly, I feel I definitely have a value bet on the river as he'd call with any K as well as AJ and QJ. His raise on the river is somewhat surprising as he probably (though not necessarily) would've raised preflop with JJ, and wouldn't have called with 33 or 22. Making KJ, 77 and maybe K7s the only hands he could possibly hold here. As KK he would've raised preflop, and I think if he raises with AKo or KQ himself it would be on the flop (he doesn't always raise preflop with AKo, FWIW). Is this river fold super easy, or can anyone find a good reason to call, i.e. does 8.5:1 figure to be enough for a small chance of him making a weird move or us chopping?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Newsflash: Old man takes foot out of grave, and plants it firmly...

Call, you make it sound like he's taking shots at you, you have tpgk, you're getting 8.5:1.

edit: oh also, i almost always open raised this when i played full ring
Old 06-14-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Newsflash: Old man takes foot out of grave, and plants it firmly...

Although I feel the shot taking is possible. I once remember him check/calling all the way with with AK when he had TPTK against me, after limping in with it. Perhaps I understated his passivity especially postflop, in my original post.