Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Default NLO8 pushing hands

I played in a NL Omaha8 $50 buy-in game the other day where it became readily apparent that one of the players (Mr. Loose) would call ANY raise preflop. This got me thinking about what is the minimum hand I would push with preflop, knowing I was going to get called. Any thoughts?

For the record I was 1 for 2 against Mr. Loose, once I figured out his M.O. First I pushed with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] against his 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and lost to a heart flush with no low. I then pushed again later with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and won both hi and low with a spade flush. He had called with similar garbage (though he did have an ace at least, something like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

Edit: Ironically when I run these hands through 2dimes I am a bit less than a 6:4 favorite in the first hand and a slightly LESS THAN coin flip DOG in the second. Oh my.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: NLO8 pushing hands

Ack. Change that last edit to read:

"Edit: Ironically when I run these hands through 2dimes I am a bit less than a 6:4 favorite in the first hand and a slightly BETTER THAN coin flip favorite (50.5 : 49.5) in the second. Oh my."
Old 06-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Just a few thoughts:

The only time I push a sizable stack BTF in NLO8 is to get a maniac or bully off my back. I think the real advantage in the game comes from post-flop play.

When I push, I want to be fairly sure I will have only one caller. Hitchhikers can really screw up the works.

The best hands for pushing usually have a couple of aces in them.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:32 PM

I think you are right on the money with this stuff. You might catch me with A 4 in a double suited situation or a high pair to go with it if you are looking to push.

But I'm not sure you need to wait for the monster hand to beat this guy. I might just use my position and see a bunch of flops and wait for the flop to hit me hard and then bring him in.

Dave