FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Regarding this laydown:
Brilliant 4 10.26%
Insane 18 46.15%
Depends 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: WSOP laydown

If i was in this situation, i will probably slow played the hand and just call the 2800$ raise before the flop.
But this is not the case. So he raised all in. I would certainly fold my KK, there will beter better chances next hands.
What the heck i even folded one time AA before the flop at a final table..(there where 3 people all-in). [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You have to survive, in my opinion..
Old 05-22-2003, 05:44 PM

What´s the use of just calling here? What if the flop comes something like J 4 2 and the other player bets? You muck?

BTW, although I obviously wasn´t there, I still doubt that your fold with AA was correct.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Very interesting thread.

I have to admit that at that stage of the WSOP I can hardly imagine anyone trying to bluff a tight player such as Andy( and risking his whole stack).
In the other hand, after reading how poorly he played his two Aces, and how he revealed folding Kings (obviously a severe ego problem, very unprofessional), who knows?

I have though to agree with the ones that mean that getting into the money is the first priority. There's plenty of time left, and at that stage 100K or 200K is not such big a difference.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:44 AM

where was this posted?

it was in the daily write up for a newsletter i subscibed to. andy and max shapiro did a daily for the entire series. they were about 3,000 word recaps that were truncated for the email list.

click here for the complete archives of the newsletter

grab a pack of Camels and a bottle of tequilla. this is GREAT reading.

the full, longer reports will be printed in cardplayer over the next year. one event per issue i beleive. all the articles will be online at www.cardplayer.com
(come to think of it, why the hell am i paying $109 a year for this mag?? oh yeah, now i remember. toilet reading is tough with a laptop)

Old 05-23-2003, 01:47 AM

the last time i quoted his words here didn't he threaten to sue me, 2+2, and mr sunshine's cat?

you are absolutely correct michael. i also beleive he insisted that the posts be deleted and wiped from the archives.

HOWEVER, i *am* GrannyMae, and

Old 05-23-2003, 01:53 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
it was in the daily write up for a newsletter i subscibed to....this is GREAT reading

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto...A friend of Granny's turned me on to this newsletter and it absolutely rocks. When I have some time I'm planning to work my way through the archives, but right now I'm just happy to be getting the WSOP updates in my inbox. Andy Glazer is quickly becoming one of my favorite poker writers [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Peace,
jHE
Old 05-23-2003, 09:14 AM

having read about some of the bets and some of the calls, at gutshot, i've changed my mind

andy, old mate, you done shoulda called that bet, that's for sure [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 09:48 AM

Heh [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This was my point. People do bluff at the WSOP. People take shots and people get way over aggressive and try to run over everyone. If you let them run over you when you have KK you don't have a prayer. They aren't gonna let you limp into the money.

I was really surprised at the amount of posters here advocating the lay down? Seems like everyone read it immediately as AA coming over the top. I read it as 99.9% pure move to steal the raise and blinds. I WANT all my chips in preflop with KK any time I can. If I were Glazer making that 9K raise the only reason I wouldn't have gone all in instead was because I wanted action. I want a call here. I want someone to come over the top. I want all my chips in the middle.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:52 AM

There's a big difference between stealing a raise when you are on the big blind and the button has raised and stealing a reraise when you have already raised from UTG.

Lori
Old 05-23-2003, 07:38 PM

There are times at the table when my head and gut get together and just SCREAM lay it down, but from here in my office and reading it, I still sorta think the over the top was a bluff, even if CL "admits" to a disinterested party having KK.

I wasn't there, but this could easily be a play that a skilled and confident player sets up by throwing in a meaningless raise with rags UTG.

What are the odds this guy would make this kind of (raw) bluff? 1%?? Still more than 2:1 bluff rather than AA. .5%?? even money bluff or AA. Add to that the odds this guy would make some kind of AQ, AJ, QJs, JTs, T9s, or AK semi-bluff (or misread of Andy's strength)? at 25% we are at even money these hands or AA.

If you feel that the money position/action demands a fold of KK here, I suggest folding without looking until you are in the money. (That is, if "$100K vs. $200K doesn't really make all that much difference at this point" etc.)

If Andy has been playing fast to build $10K up to $94K, then why does the over the top [ABSOLUTELY] have to be the mortal nuts?

I guess for those of you who are really afraid of being put out of the tournament at this point, I should note that the flop can always hit your opponent 3 times, in which case you are pretty much dead with whatever you play.

On the other hand, if it is your job to write about poker, maybe you should lay it down so you will have a story to (s)tell.