Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 08:40 PM

Default anyone read Poker, Sex & Dying by Juel Anderson?

Poker, Sex and Dying: Inside the Mind of a Gambler

This book was published in 2003 (so it says on Amazon). I've never heard of it before. I'm guessing it probably isn't any good since there are no results in the searches on 2+2. The author's other book was given negative reviews on Amazon, so that's not a good sign.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: anyone read Poker, Sex & Dying by Juel Anderson?

I own the book but have not gotten around to reading it.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 AM

Mason Malmuth likes it and gave it a 9 out of 10 in his review of the book. I suppose you own Gambling Theory and Other Topics, if so you can find the review in there. If not, do a search here for "Masons reviews".

I have ordered it from Amazon (among other books including your own, by the way) but it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:48 AM

I read it about a year ago. Very heavy on psychology (obviously). I do not have a background in psychology and found the book very cumbersome. I think it *could* be helpful if you were willing to put in the time to apply it, but to be able to put into practice would be a huge under taking only because there are so many personalilties types to remember and that many people are not absolutely one type or another, but tend to "be on the boarder" of one or more types.

If you play with the same people I think it could be beneficial, but if you play with random people I don't think you'd be exposed to them long enough to apply the material in the book.

Also, be aware that this book is also published under the title "Trading, Sex and Dying" the author is a trader, not a professional poker player (or psychologist).

Bottom line, I wouldn't waste my time reading it.

Your milage may vary.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:33 PM

I have read it and learned a great deal from it. The author takes 13 personality traits and teaches how to deal with them on the poker table as well as from a sales perspective.

I would say the book is probably better for salesman than poker players, but still worth reading IMO.

p.s. Mr. Yao, I am about half way through your Weighing The Odds In Hold'Em Poker and love it. One of the better Hold'em books for sure.