Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Help me devise a gameplan for this MTT structure

This is an MTT event that occurs regularly. Players start with 4,000 in chips. Blind levels are 15 minutes (this is live play, so 6-12 hands are played per level.) Most tables are 6 or 7 handed.

Blinds:
25-50
50-100
100-200
200-400
300-600
400-800
500-1000
1000-2000
and on

I've played this format twice now using my usual TAG style. It seems that if I do not get doubled up within the first few levels, level 4 and after is push time.

I'm playing against VERY weak fields. Some have never played tournament poker before. Usually these fields are 40-60 people.

My play style tends to do well in shallow blind structures but has always failed me in these fairly fast levels. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Help me devise a gameplan for this MTT structure

With blinds moving that fast, your strategy pretty much has to be push your small edges very hard early and hope they hold up. You need to accumulate a chipstack early in order to be able to play poker later in the tourney, and forcing yourself to get in as the dog because you're shortstacked.

So, don't be afraid to put all your chips in PF with TT or JJ. The way I look at it, it's better to lose early and have the rest of the day free, then sit there getting blinded away and ultimately be forced to move all your chips in with J5. So, early aggression, try to accumulate a stack, then lean on the short stacks (which there will inevitably be a great deal of considering the structure). If you bust out, go the pool or something.

Another thing is pay a great deal of attention and look for tight-passive play. Look for people that are often folding their blinds to steals, and take advantage of that by raising when they are in the blinds. Stuff like that. Most importantly: get lucky.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Help me devise a gameplan for this MTT structure

[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly: get lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I also figured.

Thanks for the reply.