Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Do you gamble allin w/JJ early here, or lay it down?

I was trying to either get HU or take down the pot with my large raise btf. I hated all of the action behind me after I raised. AhhDamit’s limp/all-in rr smelled of a big pair or overcards. If I’m last to act, I call him, but because there were 2 others left to act behind me, I didn’t want to risk getting involved in a 3 or 4-way pot for my whole stack this early.

33sng – bb t15

Table Table 11563 (Real Money) -- Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: cwg992000 (640)
Seat 2: HERO (770)
Seat 3: rreeno (595)
Seat 4: overner (1745)
Seat 5: AhhDamit (715)
Seat 6: whizzim (755)
Seat 7: PeterBaek (775)
Seat 9: rubluffin2 (480)
Seat 10: PAKARD (1525)
cwg992000 posts small blind (10)
HERO posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
rreeno calls (15)
overner calls (15)
AhhDamit calls (15)
whizzim calls (15)
PeterBaek folds.
rubluffin2 folds.
PAKARD folds.
cwg992000 calls (5)
HERO raises (135) to 150
rreeno calls (135)
overner calls (135)
AhhDamit raises (700) to 715
AhhDamit is all-In.
whizzim folds.
cwg992000 folds.
HERO folds.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Do you gamble allin w/JJ early here, or lay it down?

Had there been alot of pre-flop raising? Meaning, did the re-raiser have reason to believe that if he limped after two limpers that it would come back to him raised?

If not, if he would not have had a reason to believe this, I don't think most players would limp with a monster after two other limpers. In that case, I think you're up against a hand that warrants you to call the all-in. (But I will admit that I too would have a hard time calling.)
Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 PM

This is the easiest call against 55 in the history of mankind.

Also, don't raise that much. Gigantic raises like these shouldn't be done with *any* hand (but I wouldn't really even mind a push here because 55 will still dumb call.)
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 PM

this in my opinion is an easy fold. He is in an early position which prob means at very least ur up against ak,aq and at worst aa,kk,qq its 50/50 at best so i would fold.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this in my opinion is an easy fold. He is in an early position which prob means at very least ur up against ak,aq and at worst aa,kk,qq its 50/50 at best so i would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about the way the hand played out... Would you limp with an overpair to jacks after two other limpers? You're up against a hand that you should call against. Probably a smaller PP, worst case 2 overs.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:08 PM

This smells like a small/medium pocket pair to me. I've seen this move a few times lately and it is usually something like pocket 77. Limping with high unpaired cards seems very unlikely. He'd want to limit the field more than you so I can't see him limping much with AK/AQ type overcard hands. AA or KK is a possibility, but given that there were already a couple limpers in the pot, I think this is less likely. Looks like a call to me. Of course, if it were me, he'd catch is set with the underpair on the turn...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:11 PM

easiest call ever. i really think your up against a lower pair. what happened? worst case, your a slight fav, up against aq. ak raises before action gets to you. please tell me you called.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:23 PM

Tough decision. Without any reads, you have no idea what kind of player he is. 2 guys limped in front of him. He might have a big pair and is hoping someone will raise cuz he's greedy. He doesn't want the hand to end yet and doesn't want to win a small pot. Especially since the tournament is early in, a big raise won't give him much chips. When you raised and the limpers call, he had seen enough and pushed all in. The reason I say this could be the situation is because I did this in a tournament last night on stars. Had KK UTG + 1 or something, I limped hoping for a raise, someone else raised and I immediately pushed all in.

I think it's an easy fold. During a tournament, you need to pick your spots. I don't think this was one of them.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Call, unless you know he won't do that without AA, KK or QQ. With all the dead money floating about (assuming none of the limpers wakes up with a monster), facing a 55/45 is productive here.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:30 PM

Open limping from EP with KK is different than limping with KK after 2 limpers. I would only limp after 2 limpers if, based on the early play at the table, I was sure that the pot would come back to me raised. I'm not wasting KK by having 6 or 7 people see the flop for 15 chips.

Absent reads, this is a call IMO.