Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Flopped the Royal - Not me, Villain!!

I have just recently started to record and analyze all of the hands that I lose at showdown.
This one hurt me big time yesterday. Looking back it was a dangerous flop and I should have just let it go.
Comments please.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($20.65)
UTG ($4.25)
MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($68.77)
Button ($33.8)
SB ($25.8)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
UTG calls $0.25, MP :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG folds, Villain calls $1, SB calls $1.

Turn: ($4) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Villain calls $4, SB calls $4.

River: ($16) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $3</font>, SB calls $3, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $27.8</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $46.80

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah 7c (one pair, aces).
Villain has Jc Ac (straight flush, ace high).
Outcome: Villain wins $46.80. </font>
Old 06-13-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Flopped the Royal - Not me, Villain!!

Pokerstars offers .01/.02 games where you will lose your money more slowly. That's the most useful advice that I can give you in the space of just a single post.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:33 AM

Thanks I appreciate this was an amazingly bad play.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:29 AM

what was the river action here? it looks like you check-raised.

at any rate, if ever there were a time to check and fold to any bet on any street, this is it.

sweet Jesus, to be paid off with a royal flush like that by Ace-rag.....i'm getting wood just thinking about it...

cheers!
Old 06-13-2005, 05:38 AM

Dont play at so low limits it isnt good.
Play atlest at 0,25/0,50. It is imposoble to play at so low limits.

I cant win like if i play play money cant win there eather. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) It is like playing aginst my dog [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And i have to have the money or i dont care. hehe
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 AM

River action (got lost somewhere in hand conversion)
Looking at it again I am actually ashamed to post this:

Hero checks.
Villain bets [$3].
Hero is all-In [$15.4]
Villain [$24.8].
Villain shows [ Jc, Ac ] Royal Flush.
Hero doesn't show [ Ah, 7c ] a pair of aces.
Villain wins $12.4 from side pot #1 with Royal Flush.
Villain wins $47.8 from the main pot with Royal Flush.

oops...

Believe it or not I am actually a pretty consistant player but make the odd mad decision like this which will wipe out all my hard work. I play £25NL and have done for a couple of months and so far averaging around 5b/hr which isnt great hence the need to strip all these dodgy hands from my play.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet Jesus, to be paid off with a royal flush like that by Ace-rag.....i'm getting wood just thinking about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha
Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 AM

You called a check raise on a four straight, threeflush board without the straight or the flush? Dude, come on. What were you planning on doing if the fourth club hit on the river. Do you think your 7 of clubs was going to take it down? You would sooooooooo be on my buddy list after this play.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back it was a dangerous flop and I should have just let it go.
Comments please.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth were you hoping to hit after the flop? A three out straight? A one card flush that would be the third or forth nut flush? This flop missed you about as bad as a flop can miss anyone, how can you justify any calls on any street? Leading the turn is not completely horrible I guess, though a check raise is a better bluff here, but when you don't win the pot right there, there is no way any more money should go into the pot except as a blocking bet that does not stand a raise if a non club T comes on the river.

Really, fold this flop every single time. You do not have to win every pot you see a flop with. The bluff on the turn hopes villain was just trying to steal the pot and the other player has a draw he is smart enough to get away from on the turn. That is a pretty big parlay, and you are throwing 10 PTBB at the pot to do that.