Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 01:54 AM

Default DC and Pretentious People

This weekend I was in DC for a job interview. After my interview was done, I decided to take a stroll around the National Mall.

And what I realized was that; well the impression I got was that people in DC were rather pretentious. I don't know why. But after my epiphany, I decided not to work for the Think Tank I interviewed for.

Any how, I'm just wondering: Why are people in DC so pretentious?

If you agree with me, propose some hypotheses as to why people in DC are so pretentious.

If you disagree, tell me why.

Thanks. I'm just really bugged out because I imagined DC to be a really great city to it turned out to be just a bunch of pretentious people. People who think they're self-important, or else they're conservatives who try to act like they're liberals but they're really just rich conservatives in a state of rebellion.

Okay that's it. Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: DC and Pretentious People

So, you took a quick stroll around the city and made a snap negative judgment based on a few personal impressions, and you're making a major career decision based on this?

Too bad, that kind of logic is right at home at PNAC...

NT
Old 06-13-2005, 01:59 AM

True. Good point.

The Think Tank job is one of the many jobs that I'm looking at.

I've heard from other friends of mine that DC can be a pretentious place.

So what is DC really like.

And what NPAC...?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 AM

Okay, to answer your question, DC is filled with people who mainly get to have a job because they convince shmucks everywhere else that it's necessary. (Government and bureaucracy.) So, it follows that there might be some pretention floating around.

You really thought DC was going to be a cool town? I hope you're thinking of working for a fast food think tank because you might be a little naive for politics.

PNAC = Project for a New American Century

NT
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 AM

Your response is needed here nothumb.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided not to work for the Think Tank I interviewed for.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brag post about interviewing for a think tank = pretentious.

[ QUOTE ]
If you agree with me, propose some hypotheses as to why people in DC are so pretentious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothesis: Regardless of which side of the political spectrum they fall in, they all think that their views are the only correct ones, and if you don't agree you're a dope.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:53 AM

Half the people in town are in politics. The other half elected a crackhead jailbird mayor. What exactly was your expectation about people in DC?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This weekend I was in DC for a job interview. After my interview was done, I decided to take a stroll around the National Mall.

And what I realized was that; well the impression I got was that people in DC were rather pretentious. I don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, the majority of people walking around the national mall are tourists who dont live in DC. Furthermore, it is ridculous to reach the conclusion that an entire city is pretentious based on walking around and looking at people.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:11 AM

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend a couple of years ago. He joined the Army after college. He tried out for special forces. He made it. But he was almost denied because his psych exam pinned him as potentially having a superior attitude and being prone to fits of anger.

He said to me, "WHO THE FCUK DO THEY THINK THEY ARE TELLING ME I HAVE A FCUKING TEMPER!"
Old 06-13-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend a couple of years ago. He joined the Army after college. He tried out for special forces. He made it. But he was almost denied because his psych exam pinned him as potentially having a superior attitude and being prone to fits of anger.

He said to me, "WHO THE FCUK DO THEY THINK THEY ARE TELLING ME I HAVE A FCUKING TEMPER!"

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't want an elite military unit made up of people that either know they're elite or have violent tendencies.